- Text Size +

A/N:  This may cause laughter.  Also, there is a little bit of a tribute to Alleycat in this piece, let’s see if she can figure it out.

Disclaimer:  The characters in this story are WB’s and JMS’s, but certainly not mine, except David.  This is for entertainment only.

From the story starter:  There was a mix-up at the lab.

On the Brink

"Achoooo-oo!"  John Sheridan sat on the couch, trying to pay attention to the news string on the vid monitor.  Now on his third day in a row of endless sneezing, he lay his head back and waited for the next eruption.    Sure enough, "Achooo-oo!"

He recognized the sound of the door chime, but wasn't sure.  Maybe it was a false alarm; the Rangers presently on guard would page him if he had any appointments waiting.  Which he didn't, because he was sick.

After returning from her office yesterday, Delenn had abandoned him, taking their year-old son, David, to stay with her relatives.   John had tried to reason with his wife, not that there was much reasoning.  After two days of trying her Minbari remedies, no luck.  The doctor hadn't had an answer for this "cold" either.

It felt more like the flu.  Only, the doctors could treat the flu.  These symptoms hadn't abated for so much as two hours.  Sleep?  John had attempted sleep.  That consisted of lying on the slanted Minbari bed in the dark until it was light out, waiting for the sneezes and coughs.  His ribs ached now, from trying to cough, sneeze, or do both at once.

The door chime sounded again.  John adjusted his pajamas, put his slippers on and grabbed the blanket he had wrapped around himself since day one, heading to the door.  He wished he didn't have to answer it as he was just getting warm enough to doze.

Dr. Christopher Simms stood outside his door.  The Rangers had taken up stations along the hall across from the door when it opened.  John saw the doctor in.

"What brings you here, doctor?  I thought I was just going to have to get better on my own.  Chicken soup and all that?"

"Yes, sir, that's what we thought, too, Mr. President."  The Human doctor, blonde and fair skinned, set a folder he had been carrying on the small breakfast table and indicated to John that they should sit.

"So, what is it?  Have I spent too much time in the Minbari sun?" John had been diagnosing himself during the night, when he couldn't sleep. This was his latest hypothesis among a batch that included: drinking Minbari water, an insect sting, and overworking himself.

The doctor smiled and then frowned.  "I could only wish it were that simple.  No, what we discovered is, there was a mix-up at clinic and you were given the wrong vaccinations for you recent visit to the Pak'ma'ra homeworld."

"What?"

"I'm sorry, sir, but the tray my assistant gave me had the immunizations for a Minbari, not a Human."

"Oh, okay.  So, what?   You give me the Human shots and we're done?"  John let loose a harsh spasm of coughs.

"No, sir." The doctor stared steadfastly at the back of his hand.

"I want an answer, doctor."

"You have to have those vaccines reversed.  Then we can properly vaccinate you again."

"Why again?   I'm not going to visit the Pak'ma'ra anytime soon."

"It's like rebooting a computer," Dr. Simms explained, "We have to re-boost your immune system with the proper vaccinations . . . after we strip it down via the reversal of the Minbari vaccinations.  You'll only be in the clinic for a couple days if everything goes right."

John laughed at the ludicrous situation he found himself in.  Then he raged.  Unfortunately, it was the doctor who was in his path.  John stood, towering over the young  man . "IF?  IF everything goes right?  It had damn well BETTER go right.  If it were legal to sue you for gross malpractice and negligence, I'd, I'd . . . Achoooo-oo!"

John had sneezed hard enough to have to sit again.  "Rangers!"

They heard him through the door and one keyed open the apartment. "Yes, sir?"

The doctor and the Ranger s eyed each other, then John.

"Oh, never mind.  I'm going to status my wife.  See the doctor out, please."

Clinic, Day One --Morning

John arrived at his room in the private clinic first thing the morning after Dr. Simms’s visit.  Delenn hadn’t been able to break away that evening for even a brief visit as a family.  It was the one thing he regretted but he was hoping this immune system reversal thing would go as planned and maybe he would even be back to normal earlier than predicted.

The clinic serviced the Rangers who were stationed near the presidential compound, and any dignitaries. Civilians were treated at a public hospital located just a few blocks away.  Since it was private, it was also mostly empty, aside from medical staff.

No sooner had John set down his suitcase than a nurse arrived with an electronic pad containing documentation for his signature.  There was the authorization for treatment, the procedure confirmation page, and a statement of fact stating who he was, his address, his vital statistics.  In between sneezes and coughing spasms that had him leaning against the bed, he completed all of them.

He was instructed to change into loose fitting clothing and get comfortable.  Off with his shoes, dress slacks and matching dress shirt, on with a comfy t-shirt and a pair of jogging pants.  John pulled out his slippers, but didn’t put them on.  He wouldn’t need them in bed.  He laid his favorite magazine on the bed and settled in for a read.

“Mr. President, thank you for arriving on schedule.” Dr. Simms stood in the doorway.

“Of course, doctor.  I want this to be over as soon as possible.”  John stood to shake hands with the doctor.  His anger and frustration of the day before was gone.

Dr. Simms clasped his hands together and breathed in a long breath, “Mr. President, I would like to apologize, again, for how this happened.  We should’ve been more careful.  Indeed, that’s one reason we transfer the label from the bottle used and apply it directly to your file.  Can you accept my apology?”

John gave him a doubtful look. “Only if you will start calling me John.  Dr. Franklin used to.  I’m still getting used to other dignitaries calling me Mister President, but I’d rather we be friends.”

”You, uh, you don’t mind?  John?”  The chief doctor raised his eyebrows.

“I would consider it a courtesy.”

“Call me Chris, then.”

“Chris, it is.”

“I suppose we should begin.  Do you have any questions?”

“Yes.  One.  Will my wife and son be able to visit?  It was impossible for me to see them last night.  David was already asleep when Delenn arrived home from work and so, I haven’t seen them in a few days.”

“They are welcome to visit today, but they will have to stay away after that, until we’ve begun boosting your immune system again.  But, you will not get them sick.  We’re more concerned about the possibility of you taking a turn for the worse.”

John furrowed his brow. “I thought you said this would be simple to fix?”

“Don’t worry.  With all the proper precautions, everything will be fine.  Now, ready?”

John grunted his assent.

“I’ll be right back.”

Dr. Simms came back shortly with a nurse and a tray stocked with six vials and six fluid filled syringes, needles already attached.  The doctor nodded when John put down his reading and sat up.

“Well, John, everything is here.” Chris gave him a little smile and pointed to the man next to him, the nurse.  “This is my assistant, Alstott.”

“Nice to meet you.” John said, gracing the newcomer with a welcoming nod.

“It is an honor, Mr. President.” Alstott replied and began rearranging the needles.

“John, please lay back and relax, and we’ll begin.” Chris walked over to John’s right side, next to Alstott and the needles and began working.

Clinic, Day Three --Morning

John was sure he heard Delenn’s soft voice in the din of loud voices.  He tried to open his eyes, but it was a no-go.  He heard her again, and she wasn’t so soft now.  She was crying out his name and telling him rather loudly to wake up.  He tried to obey.

Words were coming through more clearly, now, “Barber!  Dr. Barber, we need more of that Rondevin in him.  Hurry!”  “On it’s way, Dr. Simms!”  “John, please wake up!”  “Nurses Clayton and Davis, over here, fluids!” “John, John, John….”

He opened his eyes and saw only a blur of white coats.  Then, she was leaning over him.  Still blurry, but he would know his Delenn, anywhere.  He lifted his hand to touch her face.  Or thought he did, but it wasn’t responding.  All other sounds were blocked out, now that she was in his sight.  Must work on muscle responses, though.  Then he felt her lips on his forehead and fell back to sleep.

Clinic, Day Five—Late Night

“We’re going in, doctor, I don’t care what you say.  I am the Entil’zha of the Anla’Shok and that, above all, should grant me entrance.”

“Please, not the child.”

“This is his son.  I will not deny either of them the chance to see one another.”

“He’s just starting his path back.”

“I can think of no better way to start, with his loved ones on the journey.  Let us pass.”

  John listened for more.  He relaxed when he finally heard it.  The swishof his wife's robes.  She didn't always dress in Minbari fashion.  He had even convinced her to wear a t-shirt and blue jeans once, rightafter David was born.    As he heard her, though, he knew she would have put on something of Minbari make.  She was more comfortable in it.  He knew because he could hear the power in her voice when she made thedoctor let her pass. "John, we're here."  He listened to her voice and tried to respond, but, nothing.  He Tried harder.  "Mrmph!" "John?  You're awake?" Oh, nuts.  The first murmur took everything he had.  But for Delenn, he would do it.  "Mrma!" "I see."  It sounded like she was ready to giggle, probably would have if the situation wasn't serious. John wondered what was so serious, other than he couldn't fully wake. "David is here too.  We've missed you.  We've been thinking about you, all of the time. David has been cranky, and he misses your frog dance.  He's also been trying to imitate it, but not quite as successfully as you." John wanted to smile.  He was smiling on the inside.  The frog dance was just something he'd made up to amuse David when he was fussy.  Now it was a nightly before-bed ritual.  When John could be there.   He felt something heavy on his left arm.  At the same moment, he could smell David's baby shampoo.  Delenn must have put David on the bed. "See, your father is real.  He will be coming home with us, as soon as he is well . . . " and Delenn's voice faded off. No!  Gotta get back to them!  Wake up, dammit, John Sheridan! Then it all came back.  Delenn was finishing saying something.  David was pulling on John's beard and then John felt his son sit back. "Come, back into my arms.  That's right." David squealed in delight. "John, can you still hear me?" Squeeze Delenn's hand.  "Mrfrerfr."   "You've been through a very tough time.  It's been five days now since you arrived.  You were allergic one of the reversal medications, but thedoctors did not know until the next day when your breathing went suddenly erratic, and then you stopped altogether.  And then, the day after that, you stopped again because you needed another dose of the medication from the day before.   "Is it possible?  Can you wake up all the way?" No hand squeeze, no noise. "The answer is no, then.  John, you must wake soon, do you understand me?" Squeeze.  "Mrrrrf." "Good.  We will return for you then.  Come, son, the frog dance awaits.