- Text Size +
Challenge: To use the following exactly as written "Where did you learn to do that

Challenge:  To use the following exactly as written "Where did you learn to do that?"

Timeframe: Post Season 5

Author's note: I was in a mushy, family mode

Author Lynda Mayfield

Title: John's Answer

Delenn watched from the doorway as her husband soothed their four-year-old son. David was finally sleeping again after an hour of trying to calm him down to go back to sleep. He had a chest cold, and it was the fourth night of medication, getting up in the middle of the night, and trying to get him to go back to sleep. After the second night, John had become a master at handling David.

Their son had slept on a tilted bed since he was a year old. At that time, the sides were raised so he wouldn't fall out. Now David could practically catapult into and out of bed. John had told Delenn that he thought the sleeping position helped with the cold.

The problem was not the medication. It was working and helping David to breathe and not cough. On waking, however, the boy was a little disoriented and afraid, which brought both parents to his side. By the time David woke, it was time for another dose of medicine, which their son hated but he was obedient and took it, followed by a small of ice cream...the spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down, as it were.

Following these ministrations, however, the boy was anxious about going back to sleep for fear of waking up again or falling back into a bad dream he might have been having. John and Delenn weren't sure which because their son wasn't forthcoming on the matter, he just told them he didn't want to go to sleep.

Now, he was very lightly snoring. John stood and approached Delenn, giving her a kiss on the cheek as they grasped hands to return to their own bed.

**** B5 ****

As she snuggled against John in bed, she asked, "Where did you learn to do that?"

"Do what?" John had done a lot in the last hour.

"Get David to calm down and go to sleep."

"Oh, well, it's just a backrub. I guess from my Dad and my grandfather, depending on who was around when I was small. The constant motion was comforting, and I always could fall asleep. Sometimes, Dad and I would talk, but usually, I would just fall right asleep."

"So, it is a family tradition also."

"Mmm, you could say that."

"You are a good father to our son. I am glad." Delenn shifted upward so she could kiss him.

"Thank you, Delenn. I do wonder about that some times, as often as I am away."

"Ah, but you are here when he needs you. That is what counts."

"Mmm, I hadn't thought of it that way. I'm glad I am here right now. I love to be with my family."

"Necessary as it is that you must be away some times, we love to have you home, John."

Nothing more was said between the couple...it was the early morning hours and they were exhausted. With busy schedules ahead of them, President and Entil'zha fell asleep.

The End

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading my story, I hope you enjoyed it.