- Text Size +

Friday, November 14, 1941

 

 

Kristin hummed to herself as she finished getting ready. Nathan was taking her out for dinner and dancing. Her hair and makeup done, she adjusted her stockings and garters before pulling on her slip then crossed to the closet to choose a dress.

 

She was still deciding moments later when there was a knock on her door. "Kris?" Katie's voice sounded from outside.

 

"Come in."

 

"Can I borrow your blue silk scarf?" the young woman asked when she'd stepped into the room.

 

"Sure. Top left-hand drawer of the bureau."

 

"Are you going out with Captain Bridger again?"

 

"Yes." Kristin replied absently as she continued to scan her closet.

 

"You like him, don't you?" Katie smiled

 

"What makes you say that?"

 

"Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that you only met him 2 weeks ago and have seen him nearly every day since."

 

"All right." The older woman smiled. "I do like him, very much and I might even….." her voice trailed off as she turned back to the closet.

 

"Might even what? Love him?"

 

"Yes" Kristin replied quietly.

 

"Have you told him?"

 

"No, not yet"

 

"And why not?"

 

"Because…. Because I don't know how he feels about me."

 

"Kris, that man is crazy about you. I've seen it in his eyes."

 

"Perhaps."

 

"Why do I hear a 'but' in there?"

 

"But…. He lost his wife and son in a car accident a year ago and maybe it's too soon."

 

"And maybe you're afraid."

 

"Of what?"

 

"Of getting hurt. Of letting someone get that close again."

 

"Maybe."

 

"Have you slept with him?"

 

"KATHERINE!"

 

Katie chuckled. "I'll take that as a no."

 

Kristin ignored her comment and held up two dresses. "Which one?"

 

"That depends."

 

"On what?"

 

"On how you want the evening to end. If you want a… goodbye kiss at the door then go with the blue one. But if you want hot steamy, sweaty passionate sex, then I'd wear the red."

 

Kristin turned back to the closet and hung the blue dress back up.

 

"Well then, I guess I'll find someplace else to stay tonight." Katie chuckled.

 

"You don't have to."

 

"Of course I do. You'll definitely need the house to yourself tonight. So if you feel the need to scream… then by all means do." Katie winked.

 

"KATHERINE!" Kristin gasped, scandalized. Katie merely chuckled and headed for the door.

 

"Have fun." She called and waved over her shoulder. As the door closed behind her, Kristin couldn't help but smile. She crossed to the bed and laid the dress across it. Since it was a halter style, she changed her full slip for a half one and removed her bra.

 

Kristin slipped the dress on, pulled up the side zipper and tied the halter straps around her neck. After slipping her feet into a pair of red heels she moved to the full length cheval mirror in the corner of the bedroom to check her appearance.

 

Pleased with what she saw, Kristin nodded, then picked up her shawl and handbag from the chair beside the mirror. She had just turned out the bedroom light when there was a knock at the door. With a smile she moved down the hall to the door. Nathan stood on the porch with a bouquet of roses in his hands.

 

"Hello," she drawled.

 

"Kristin, wow, you look gorgeous."

 

"Thank you. Are those for me?"

 

Nathan grinned and with a nod presented the flowers to her. She took them and drew the bouquet to her nose to inhale the blooms.

 

"Oh they're lovely, thank you."

 

"You're welcome."

 

"Just let me put them in water and then we can go."

 

Nathan followed her inside to the kitchen leaning up against the door frame and watching as she took a vase down from the cupboard, filled it with water then took the roses from their paper wrapping and arranged them. After setting the flowers in the middle of the table she turned to Nathan.

 

"Ready?" He smiled.

"Yes." She replied and returned his smile as she moved toward him. Slipping her arm around her waist he led her out of the house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was a lovely night; the air was warm and fragrant. They ate dinner in a quiet little beach front restaurant and then they went to a dance hall.

 

It was after midnight when they returned to Kristin's house. When they reached her door she turned to him. "Thank you, it was a lovely evening."

 

"It was my pleasure." He smiled, squeezing her hand affectionately.

 

"Would you like to come in? I could put on some coffee."

 

"Well, I wouldn't want to disturb your room mate."

 

"Katherine is staying with friends tonight."

 

"Well then, I'd love to."

 

"Good."

 

Sometime later they sat together on the sofa talking over coffee.

 

"Well it's late and I should probably be going." Nathan said as he set his coffee cup on the table.

 

"No please don't go. Stay with me."

 

"Kris." He said quietly.

 

"Please stay. Stay and make love to me." She said softly.

 

When he didn't reply immediately she frowned and got up, turning her back to him. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. Maybe it would be better if you did leave."

 

Nathan stood and moved behind her. He gently rested his hands on her bare shoulders and felt her tense slightly at his touch.

 

"No, I'm sorry." He told her as he turned her to face him. "I should have said something… I was just surprised."

 

"I've always been too forward. It's one of my worst faults."

 

"I don't think so… your forwardness is one of the things I love about you." He told her softly.

 

"Really? You love me?" she asked, uncertainty tainting her voice.

 

"More than I ever thought I could again."

 

"I love you too."

 

Reaching out, Nathan cupped her face in his palms and gently drew her mouth to his. His lips brushed lightly over hers, gently teasing. Kristin leaned into his kiss, the action bringing her body flush against his, and she released a soft moan as his tongue pressed for entry.

 

As his kiss deepened, their tongues tangling together, desire ran like quicksilver through her veins and Kristin moaned at the sensations he was evoking within her and feeling the expectant ridge of his erection pressing into her belly she knew he was experiencing the same desire as she.

 

She pulled back from his embrace and at the questioning frown on his face she gave him a smile and took his hand in hers. Without a word she led him down the hall to her bedroom and shut the door.