- Text Size +

Jack moved through the infirmary to Sam's bed. He stopped and looked down at her and couldn't stop the flip-flopping of his heart. Her fever ravaged body was covered only by a light sheet, her skin marred with an angry red hue. An IV line replaced her body's vital fluids and her head tossed back and forth fitfully. She muttered incoherently, lost in the throes of a fevered delirium. Jack reached out and took her hand in his and the skin beneath his fingers was painfully hot and dry. Pulling her hand close to his chest, Jack leaned over and tenderly brushed back her sweat-damp hair. Leaning forward, he spoke close to her ear. "Sam, I'm here Sam. You have to fight this."

At the sound of his voice she turned her head and her blue eyes fluttered open. They were bright and fever glazed.

"Jack." she murmured softly.

"Hey." he replied quietly.

"So sorry." she muttered

"Sorry, what for?"

"Never got to tell you....."

"Tell me what?" Jack asked quietly as he leaned closer and tenderly stroked her forehead.

"Love you....." she whispered in a barely audible whisper and her eyes fluttered closed.

"Sam?!" Jack called anxiously, but she was lost once more in the dark embrace of Morpheus.

Leaning down, Jack pressed his lips to her forehead. "I love you too, Sam. Please don't leave me." he murmured softly before leaning back. Pulling a chair close Jack sat, determined to sit with her for as long as it took.

Janet watched from her office door and after a moment crossed over to one of her nurses. "Sally," she said quietly. "Let Colonel O'Neill stay for as long as he wants"

"Yes, Doctor."

The infirmary grew quiet and the stillness was interrupted only by the occasional arrival of a nurse as she checked Sam's condition. Jack maintained his vigil at Sam's bedside and knew it was early morning when heard the sounds of others in the corridor, but he didn't care. Nothing mattered to him except for Sam to get better. He needed to see her lashes lift and reveal those blue eyes of hers that were always full of mischief, so full of life.

Sam's condition throughout the night had remained unchanged. Jack hadn't moved from her side all night and exhaustion and worry had taken its toll on him. Leaning over her, Jack pulled Sam into his arms, drawing her close to his body. He buried his face in the crook of her neck and hot tears scalded his eyes. He closed his eyes and pressed his lips to Sam's throat, breathing in her scent, the sweetness that was uniquely hers mingled with the moist scent of fever. Love for her washed over him, love mixed with the bitter sharpness of grief and fear. Jack felt his tears slip past his lashes and fall onto her skin soaking the hot, dry flesh. His mind swirled with urgent pleas for her life and he prayed for the first time in a very long time, offering his own life in place of hers if that's what was required.

It was a while later when Jack felt a gentle hand on his shoulder. He lifted his head and saw Janet standing beside him. "Colonel," she said quietly and could not help but notice the tears on his cheeks. "You've been here all night why don't you go to your quarters and get some sleep."

"No, I want to stay with her." he protested

"You're exhausted and won't do Sam any good if you make yourself sick. You need sleep! Do I have to make it an order?" Janet stated firmly then at the look in his eyes she softened her tone and added. "I promise to call you if there is any change in her condition."

"Okay." Jack stated quietly and turned back to look at Sam's still face. Leaning down he brushed a light kiss across her lips. "I love you Sammy." he whispered softly. "Come back to me." he added as he stepped away.

"You promise you'll call me?" he asked Janet as he moved away.

"I promise." Frasier added then watched him step from the room before turning to her friend.

The hot shower had felt good and had relieved the kinks from his tired body but had done little to alleviate the worry and heaviness of his heart. After his shower, Jack returned to his quarters and tried to sleep. Tired as he was, sleep did not come quickly as his mind was running on overdrive with worry for Sam. Just before dawn, exhaustion won out and he did finally sleep.

It was late in the day when Jack stepped back into the infirmary. Seeing him step into the room, Janet smiled and crossed to his side. "Hello Colonel." she said brightly.

"Hi Doc. How are they today?" he questioned.

"I released Daniel earlier today and he's to rest at home for the next couple of days. Teal'c promised me he'd keep an eye on him."

"Good, and Sam."

"She's much better. Her fever broke earlier this morning and she's resting comfortably. I did a blood test and the toxin is no longer in her system. I think the worst is over, she should be waking up very soon."

Jack smiled with this news. "Thanks, Doc." he said. "Can I see her?"

"Sure go ahead." Janet said and watched as he moved across the room to Sam's bedside.

She smiled, then turned and crossed back to her office.

Jack looked down at a sleeping Sam and smiled. She was sleeping more peacefully than the last time he had seen her. The covers were pulled up to her shoulders and one hand grasped the top edge. Jack reached out and gently rested the back of his hand against her cheek and was pleased to find her skin was cool to his touch and not burning hot as it had been. His hand slid up to tenderly brush the hair from her eyes then he leaned forward to press his lips to her ear. "You gave me quite a scare, Sammy." he murmured softly. "Don't stay away too long, okay." he added and pulled back when she moaned softly.

Jack watched as her eyelids fluttered and then those exquisite blue eyes were looking up at him. "Hey." he smiled.

"Jack." she whispered with a hint of a smile on her lips. "I was dreaming about you." she added in a barely audible whisper.

"Really? Was it a good dream?" he asked softly.

"Um hmm," she mumbled and nodded her head. "Told me that you loved me." she added in a sleepy voice as her eyes closed again.

Jack smiled and leaned over her once again. "I do." he whispered so that only she could hear him.

Sam's eyes opened and looked up at him, scanning the dark depths of his eyes. "Really?" she questioned quietly.

"Really." Jack replied, giving her a tender smile and reached to pull her hand from its nest of blankets. He pulled it close and pressed a kiss to the center of her palm.

Jack released her hand when someone cleared their throat. He turned his head and saw Janet standing at the foot of Sam's bed. The doctor gave him a knowing smile and then moved to the other side of Sam's bed.

"Well you're looking a lot better than you did last night." she said with a smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Mmm, tired." Sam replied and gave her friend a smile.

"That's to be expected after what you've been through."

"How's Daniel?" Sam asked, concern for her friend was evident in her eyes.

"He's fine, thanks to you." Jack told her and flashed her a smile.

"I sent him home to rest for the next few days and those are my orders for you. I'm going to keep you here another night and then send you home to rest." Janet stressed. "I want you to follow my orders to the letter. Understood?"

"Yes." Sam nodded.

"Good." Frasier added with a grin "Excuse me." she finished and stepped away leaving the two alone once again.

Jack pulled a chair close and sat. "I have something for you."

"What?" Sam questioned curiously.

"Martia asked me to give this to you." he said as he pulled a cloth bag from his shirt pocket. "She told me it was the Serpent's Heart and was given only to those who passed the challenge of the pit." he added and gave her the bag.

Sam pulled the drawstrings open and tipped the bag upside down. She gasped at what fell out onto her palm. "My God, it's gorgeous." A little larger than her thumbnail, it was an exact replica of the stone that had adorned the large serpent statute, heart-shaped and iridescent green that changed hues with the changing light.

"You earned it Sam." he stated softly. "Although you did scare the hell out of me."

"Sorry." she stated apologetically.

"S'okay. Just don't do it again. Okay?"

"Deal."

"How did you sleep?" Janet asked as she approached Sam's bed early the next morning.

"Mmm, good. But I'm ready to go home." Sam told her friend as she sat up.

"Well I've taken care of that." Janet smiled. "I'm releasing you on the express condition that you rest. And just to make sure that you do." Frasier grinned.

As if on cue Jack stepped into the infirmary. "Ready to go home?" he questioned with a playful grin.

"Yes," Sam nodded "But there is really no need for you to babysit me, I'll be fine." she protested lightly.

"I'm doing it because I want to. No arguments, okay?" he told her quietly.

"Okay." Sam relented, returning his smile.

"Good." Janet grinned. "Here's some cream for your sunburn and I want you to drink plenty of fluids."

An hour later, Jack had Sam safely ensconced on her living room sofa. The TV remote, telephone, and magazines within easy reach.

He paused to tuck the blanket in around her and Sam sighed. "Jack you don't have to mother hen me, you know." she told him with only a slightly exasperated smile.

"Sorry." he replied sheepishly.

"It's all right." Sam replied and turned her eyes back to the TV.

Jack was moving to sit in the arm chair next to her when his eye caught something on the end table. He smiled as an idea flashed through his mind. He reached out and picked the item up from the table, slipping it into his pocket.

"Uhm, Sam." he hedged as he moved to face her. "Will you be all right if I went out for a few hours. I want to grab some things from my house and need to do a couple of errands."

"Sure, I'm be fine. Go ahead." she told him with a smile.

"You're gonna rest, right. No cheating while I'm gone because I'll be checking up on you." he teased lightly.

"Girl scout's honor." Sam replied with a grin.

"You were a girl scout?"

"Go, Jack." Sam giggled and watched as he gave her a wink and slipped from the house.

Jack pulled up in front of a small, but exclusive jewelry boutique. He stepped inside and the Jeweler gave him a smile.

"Good afternoon, sir. How can I help you today?"

"Well, I have a stone I'd like put into a setting if you could and I'd like it done as soon as you can. Today if possible. Price is no object."

"Very well. If you would show me the stone I will see if I can help you."

Jack reached into his pocket and pulled out the jewel that Martia had given Sam.

"My God," the jeweler exclaimed. "I've never seen anything so exquisite. Where did you get it?"

"It was given to a friend of mine as a gift and I'd like it put into a setting for her."

"Are you sure you don't want to sell it? You can name your price and I will give it to you. I've never seen its like."

"I'm sorry but this stone has *sentimental* value and we could never part with it."

"Very well then I would suggest something simple so as not to detract from the stone's beauty. Maybe something in platinum." the Jeweler stated.

"Could this be used?" Jack began and reached for a piece of paper that sat on the counter. Pulling out a pen he drew a design on the paper. "Perhaps, set the stone right here?" he said and pointed to the area.

"Oh, my yes. That would be exquisite." the jeweler stated

"Good and could you have it done in a few hours?" Jack said as he opened his wallet and started peeling off bills.

"I'll get started on it right away." the jeweler smiled.

"Thank you." Jack added and slipped from the boutique.

Several hours later Jack stepped back into the house with a bag of groceries tucked under once arm and his present for Sam in the pocket of his jacket. The jeweler had done a beautiful job and he was very pleased with the results.

"Sam?" he called out as he moved into the living room and stopped beside the couch. He smiled when he saw that she was asleep. Turning quietly he moved to the kitchen and set the groceries down on the counter.

Sam awoke to the most wonderful smells. She opened her eyes and sat up with a yawn. Throwing back the blanket Sam got up out off the couch and stretched before moving in the direction of those heady smells.

Jack looked up as Sam stepped into the kitchen and couldn't help but smile. She was dressed in waffle-tights, pair of big baggy socks and a large oversized sweatshirt and looked rumpled and sexy.

"Hey sleepy head. Hungry?" he grinned.

"Mmm, starving." Sam smiled and crossed to his side. "What did you make?" Sam asked as she moved to the stove and inhaled the pot he was stirring.

"Just spaghetti. The one thing I do know how to make and won't screw up." he joked.

Sam laughed. "Smells wonderful."

"Well, have a seat." he said as he started dishing out their plates.

After dinner despite her protests, Jack refused to let Sam help clean up and shooed her back into the living room. Twenty minutes later he stepped back into the living room and found Sam in the midst of watching a movie. She looked up and smiled at him as he came and sat down on the sofa beside her.

"Whatcha watchin'?" he questioned.

"Ah, just some Movie-of-the-week." she replied as her hand reached around to absently scratch her back. "God, this is itching. It's driving me crazy." she grumbled.

"Did you put on that cream Janet gave you?" Jack questioned with a grin.

"Ah," Sam started and flashed him a sheepish smile "No, because I couldn't reach my back."

Jack rolled his eyes. "Ya could have asked me you know." he muttered as he got up and went in search of the small bottle of salve. He found it on the hall table and returned with it and a towel to sit beside her.

"Lie down and take off your shirt." He said as he opened the bottle.

"Gee, I never thought I'd hear those words out of your mouth, especially directed at me." she teased and laughed lightly at the blush that colored his cheeks.

"Sam..." Jack admonished playfully an, I'll-get-you-for-this twinkle in his eyes

"Sorry." she muttered and did as she was bidden.

Jack winced at the angry red sunburn on her back and shoulders, that was beginning to peel. "Excuse me." he muttered in apology as he unhooked her bra and gently lifted the straps and pushed them down to her arms.

Seconds later Sam sighed as the cool salve met her fiery skin "God that feels good." she muttered. Jack's hands on her back were soothing and gentle as he massaged the cream down the length of her back and over her shoulders.

By the time he had finished with the massage Sam had been lulled into a drowsy half sleep. Jack smiled as he wiped his hands on the towel "Hey, you're not falling asleep on me again, are you?" he questioned with a teasing lilt to his voice.

"Mmm, no." she mumbled and turned her head to smile up at him.

Jack returned her smile and stood up. He turned away, moving to put the bottle back on the hall table and giving her enough privacy to pull her shirt back on. When he turned back she was sitting up, feet tucked beneath her.

"So, you gonna watch this movie with me or not?" she asked him with a playful smile.

"Wouldn't miss it." he quipped and moved back to her side. He sat beside her and she snuggled close to his side, resting her head on his shoulder. Jack smiled and laid his arm across her shoulder pulling her tighter to his side.

After a few minutes, Jack smiled softly to himself. "Ah, Sam." he said when he noticed that her fingers had crept into the open neck of his shirt and were idly combing through the hairs on his chest.

"Yes." she replied sweetly not looking up from the tv screen

"Are you trying to seduce me?"

"I certainly hope so." Sam purred as she lifted her head and shifted until she faced him.

Jack gave her a smile. "Do you think you're up for what you have in mind?'

"The question O'Neill is whether you're up for what I have in mind." she cooed seductively her lips a mere hair's-breadth from his.

"Oh yah. I do believe that I am." Jack whispered and captured her lips with his. Sam released a pleasured sigh and parted her lips when his tongue brushed against her, demanding entrance.

They were soon lost in sweet arousal, it bathed them and surrounded them, shutting out everything but each other and the pleasure they shared. Hands and lips caressed, bodies joined and became one as they drowned together in the sea of ecstasy.

Sam sighed contentedly and snuggled closer to the warmth of Jack's side. Her foot idly caressing the length of his calf.

"Just when exactly did we move to the bedroom?" she asked with a smile.

"Uhm I think it was after the second or third time. But I'm not sure." Jack responded with a chuckle and pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"Jack?" Sam questioned softly.

"Yes." he replied and met her gaze in the moonlit room.

"Thank you."

"What for?"

"For being here, for taking care of me and most especially for loving me."

"There's no need to thank me for that, Sammy." Jack replied softly. "No need at all." he added and kissed her softly.

"You know all that time I was in the pit, rescuing Daniel, all I could think was that if I didn't make it out alive I had never told you that I loved you and I very much wanted to do that even with all the rules and regs that said I shouldn't"

"I feel the same way." Jack stated softly then a twinkle entered his eyes. "Speaking of that, I have something for you." he said and gave her a kiss before slipping from her arms.

"What?" Sam questioned as she sat up.

"You'll see." Jack said and flashed her a wink.

Sam smiled as he strode nude from the bedroom and returned minutes later with something in his hand. He got back into bed and held the small bag out to her.

She gave him a curious smile before opening the bag and pulling out a small jeweler's box.

Sam opened the box and gasped. "Jack" Nestled inside was the most exquisite necklace she had ever seen. "It's so beautiful." she added in an awed whisper as she reached inside and pulled the necklace out. Dangling at the end of the platinum chain, also in platinum, was an exact replica of the stargate symbol for earth and between the legs of the inverted V was the jewel she had been given. They complemented each other perfectly.

Jack helped her put it on and when he was done Sam gave him a smile and stretched herself out beside him. "Thank you." she whispered. "It's perfect." she added as she pressed a tender kiss to his lips.

As the kiss deepened and grew more passionate, Jack shifted and pulled Sam until she was stretched out full-length on top of him. His hands caressed down the smooth curve of her back eliciting a moan of pleasure and they were once again carried away on the turbulent waves of passion.