- Text Size +
Chapter 4

Jamie sighed and focused on the passing cars. For the next ten minutes, he watched as the number of streetlights increased. Noticing that they were stopping near the Jefferson Memorial, his curiosity got the better of him. He couldn’t stand the silence any longer. Turning to look at Lee, Jamie asked, "Why are we here?"

Pulling the Jeep into a vacant space not far from his destination, Lee smiled over at Jamie. "Your mom and I come here, sometimes, to talk and make decisions. I have some things I need to tell you, and I figured I’d bring you here, too."

Jamie opened his car door and looked around at the couples walking together in the moonlight. "This isn’t about…romance is it, Lee?"

Lee looked at his stepson and faltered for a moment. Then, nodding toward the memorial, he cleared his throat and began to walk in that direction. "Ah, no…not exactly. I promise I’ll tell you once we get to the top of the stairs."

The two settled beside each other on the top step, and sat listening to the night. Taking a deep breath, Lee began, "Jamie, I have a confession to make; I hope that you’ll understand the reasons behind what I’ve done in the past. Only, I want you to hear me out before you make any rash judgments."

Jamie felt butterflies developing in his stomach. He prayed that Lee wasn’t about to tell him that he was leaving them, and hoped that, instead, Lee was about to open up to him, just as he had done with Lee back at the ice-cream shop. "Okay," he hesitantly whispered.

Sighing, Lee leaned back against the step and looked up at the sky. "I’m sure that your mom has told you that she and I met at work." Lee watched as Jamie nodded. "Well, it wasn’t really at work, but…well, you could say that we met because of work."

Jamie looked at him confused. "Huh?"

Lee shook his head slightly before continuing, "The truth is, your mother and I met over five years ago."

Jamie’s eyebrows furrowed at Lee’s confession. "What?’

Looking down at his stepson’s bewildered face, Lee decided to explain, "You see, your mother and I aren’t exactly film makers." Jamie chuckled, and Lee looked at him sternly. "What’s so funny about that?"

Jamie shoved his hands into his pockets and leaned back as Lee had done earlier. "I’m not stupid, Lee. You guys run off at the oddest times. Caitlin said her dad used to do that a lot, too. Besides, you don’t know a thing about film."

Lee smiled at his stepson’s observation and relaxed against the steps of the memorial, before continuing, "Your mom will probably be very upset with me for what I’m about to tell you, but I think you deserve to know the truth. You see…" He ran his hand through his hair, again, and just let the words spill out, "Your mother and I work for the government. Our jobs are dangerous, Jamie, and well…I used to feel much the same way Caitlin’s dad does about protecting my loved ones."

A tear trickled down Jamie’s cheek and he turned his head, so Lee couldn’t see his face. "So you’re leaving us?"

Lee sat up straight at his stepson’s choked words. "NO, Jamie. I’m not going to leave you or your family. Ever."

Jamie looked over at Lee’s harsh, but reassuring tone. "But you just said—"

Lee draped his right arm around Jamie’s shoulder and pulled him closer. "I said that I used to feel like he does; I didn’t say that I was going to do what he did. Your mother has made me see that being part of a family is more important than listening to inner fears. She’s changed me in so many ways over the years, and managed to change the way I view the world. I love you and your brother very much and I want so much to be a full-time part of your family."

Jamie relaxed in the comfortable support Lee offered. He felt more at ease now that he understood that Lee wasn’t going to drop them like a pair of worn out shoes. "So what do you and Mom do?" he asked, peering up from beneath his glasses.

Taking a deep breath, Lee began the story. "I can’t tell you everything, Jamie. That would be too dangerous, but I can tell you that our work involves keeping our nation safe, and your mother is a big part of that."

Jamie looked at him contentedly, prodding him to continue. "Like what? I mean, does my mom carry a gun?" he asked hesitantly.

Lee shook his head. "No. Your mom is very much against guns. I will admit that I’ve tried to get her to use one, for her own safety." He smiled to himself, lost in thought. "But your mom has proven to me, on a number of occasions, that there are other ways of getting out of a jam without using a gun," he replied, his voice full of pride.

Hearing what seemed like admiration in Lee’s voice, Jamie turned to fully face his mother’s boyfriend. "You really love my mother, don’t you?"

"Yes, Jamie, I really do. It may have taken over three years for me to realize that I was crazy about your mother, but when I did, it hit me like a bolt of lightening. I couldn’t get enough of her, but we had to consider you and Phillip."

Jamie stiffened at the comment. "So you didn’t want to deal with Mom’s excess baggage? Is that why it took you so long to come to the house?" He broke contact with Lee, rose, and quickly walked away.

"Wait, Jamie, you don’t understand!" Lee called to his stepson, as he rose swiftly from his seat. After all the progress they had just made, this sudden change in Jamie’s attitude left him feeling as if he’d just been punched in the stomach.

Jamie looked at Lee with disgust and pain. "That’s the real reason isn’t it? You didn’t want to be around us."

In two steps, Lee was standing in front of Jamie and placed his strong hands on the boy’s arms. "No, Jamie," he spoke seriously, "I was afraid…afraid of getting too close to you and Phillip, and then, losing you. Just like Caitlin’s dad lost Caitlin’s mom."

At the mention of Caitlin, Lee’s reasoning suddenly made sense to Jamie. "But that’s wrong, Lee," he sputtered, "It’s not fair to Mom, you, Phillip…or me."

Lee cringed at the boy’s decisive words. "I know, Jamie, and I’m sorry if it sounds like I was being selfish. You need to know that I love you. It took me a long time to admit my feelings for your mother to myself, but I realized much more quickly, just how much I love you and your brother. I didn’t want anything to mess that up. I hope you can understand that your mother and I wanted to do whatever we could to keep you boys safe."

Jamie wrapped his arms around Lee for a quick hug. "We have a lot to talk about when we get home to Mom, don’t we?" Jamie, then, pulled back from Lee at the sound of a chuckle echoing from his stepfather’s chest. "What?"

Shaking his head, Lee moved back toward the steps. Feeling the need for some solid support, he sat down. "There’s more, Jamie."

Jamie remained standing where Lee had just left him. "There’s more? You are going to leave us after all, aren’t you?" he said in an accusing tone.

"No Jamie, I’m not going to leave you." Patting the space next to him, he invited his stepson to sit.

Jamie heard the conviction in Lee’s voice, and now, suddenly, his previous worry changed to curiosity as he wondered what else Lee could possibly tell him. Hesitating momentarily, he decided he couldn’t wait any longer and moved towards Lee.

Once Jamie was seated beside him, Lee took a deep breath, shook his head, and then, before he lost his nerve, blurted out, "You see, your mom and I got married last year." As soon as the words where out, Lee focused his attention on a nearby couple, giving his stepson time to react to what he’d just learned.

The lights that surrounded the memorial blurred through Jamie’s tears. He blankly looked up towards the sky, trying to hide the tears from Lee. A mixture of emotions ran through him, as he repeated the words "your mom and I got married" in his head. He wasn’t sure if he was relieved because it meant that Lee wasn’t planning on abandoning them, or if he was upset for being kept in the dark.

‘The silence is worse than an outburst,’ Lee thought as he moved his attention to his stepson. Remaining quiet, Lee slid over on the step to sit closer to his stepson. "Jamie? I’m sorry. We should have told you." Not hearing a response, he continued, "You need to know that I don’t want to take your father’s place. I just hope that you can find a place for me and accept me as a part of your family."

After a few more moments of silence, Lee moved to kneel on the step below Jamie. What he saw, when he looked into the boy’s eyes, surprised him. There was no hate, hurt, or anger. He saw what he had seen in his own eyes when he had looked in the mirror the day after he had made Amanda King, and her family, a permanent part of his life. He saw peace in his stepson’s eyes.

Jamie tried his best to ignore the penetrating gaze. Lee realized that Jamie still needed some time, and moved to resume his place on the step beside his stepson.

Jamie removed his glasses and, with his shirtsleeve, wiped the tears that stained his face. He studied Lee for a moment, evaluating his stepfather who was sitting with his elbows on his knees and his head hung down, before asking, "Why didn’t you tell us sooner? Why did you keep it a secret from us? Was it because you were worried about keeping us safe, or were trying to keep yourself safe from us?"

Lee turned his head and took in the serious features of his stepson. He knew he had no choice, but to be completely honest with Jamie; there was no use sugar coating anything now. "Your mother and I agreed to the idea of a secret marriage because we felt you boys would be much safer if no one could connect you to me. We probably should have waited, to see how things panned out, but I love your mother. I love her more than I ever thought I could love any woman, and I just couldn’t wait to marry her." He paused and moved his gaze to the ground. "A small part of me was glad we had chosen to do it this way. It gave me a real chance to let you boys get to know me, and for me to find a place in your lives. That’s where I believe…I mean, hope I belong."

Jamie heard the hint of sadness in Lee’s voice. Reaching over, he put a hand on his stepfather’s shoulder. "You sacrificed a lot in doing what you did, didn’t you?"

Lee nodded, "It wasn’t until recently that I realized just how much I’ve been missing out on by not being a full-time part of your lives. I love you, your brother, and your grandmother very much and I don’t want to keep that hidden any longer."

Jamie wiped another tear from his cheek with his free hand. "Lee, I think I’m finally ready to accept the idea that you really do love us. And I really do believe that you would do anything for us. Thank you."

Lee looked up at the whispered words. "Of course I love you. I love all of you. I found out the hard way that every day is a gift. I hope you understand."

Nodding, Jamie smiled. "To tell you the truth, Lee, if it hadn’t been for Caitlin, I might not have understood, but I think I do now. You were afraid you would lose Mom, if anything ever happened to us. You and Mom have made a lot of sacrifices for our sakes, haven’t you?"

Lee again shook his head at the adult manner in which the young teen seemed to accept the situation. "You’re just as amazing as your mother."

Jamie’s smile brightened at the compliment. "I doubt I’ll ever be as smart or as brave as Mom. We still have a lot to talk about though. I want to know more about what happened and all."

Lee reached out and patted Jamie firmly on the back. "We have the rest of our lives to talk, Jamie. I’ll be here for you."

Taking a deep breath, Jamie looked over at the busy street. "I don’t think Grandma will be as understanding, though. I bet she’s gonna be really upset. What are you gonna tell her?"

Running his hand through his hair, Lee looked down at his left hand, where his wedding ring should have been. "Your mother is taking care of that now." Hearing Jamie suck in his breath in surprise, Lee quickly continued, "I wanted to be there, but your mom said it was best she did this alone. I sure hope it’s going well." The last part was partially whispered, more to himself than to Jamie.

Jamie jabbed Lee in the side with his elbow, then stood and began to walk down the steps. "You and Mom are in a lot of hot water." Stopping a few steps down, he turned back and looked up at Lee, then continued, "Don’t worry, Lee. It’ll all work out."

Standing and shoving his hands into his pockets, Lee shrugged his shoulders and followed Jamie down the steps, two at a time. "I hope so. I haven’t been this jittery since I was interrogated by some mixed-breed Nazi Russians…" Lee closed his mouth as he watched his stepson stop dead in his tracks only a few feet from the car. "Well, that’s another story, for another time."

Jamie turned a questioning face back towards his step-dad. "Why do I have the feeling that I won’t need the library quite as much for my research on foreign countries?"

Pulling the keys from his pocket, Lee unlocked the Jeep and flashed Jamie one of his most innocent smiles. "What gives you that idea?"

Rolling his eyes, Jamie opened his car door and got in. "The next few months sure are going to be interesting."

Lee turned on the ignition and started to pull away from the curb while Jamie began to bombard him with questions. "So when are you going to tell Phillip? When are you going to move in? You are planning on moving in with us, aren’t you? Or are we gonna get a bigger house, so that I don’t have to share a room with Phillip anymore?"

Lee released a heavy sigh as he eased his way into the busy downtown street. "One thing at a time, Jamie. We were planning on telling both you boys tomorrow. I guess Phillip is the last to know. Let’s not worry about that right now. Let’s head over to Caitlin’s. I want to have a word with her dad."

Jamie felt a knot forming in the pit of his stomach at the thought of meeting with Caitlin’s dad, one on one. "Lee, can I wait in the car?"

Lee smiled at the squirming boy. "If that’s what you want, Champ."

Jamie quickly nodded, and slid down in his seat. "Yep. That’s what I want."

Lee felt the pressure of the night’s events catching up to him as he drove down the familiar streets with his youngest stepson riding shotgun. After stopping by Caitlin’s, they had gone to the movie theater and picked-up Phillip, who now rode in the back, as happy as could be. Lee, however, couldn’t concentrate on his oldest stepson’s ramblings about his big night out. Instead, he prayed that Amanda wasn’t going to be too upset with him for being half an hour late. He had decided not to chance calling her, for fear of interrupting her "discussion" with her mother. Besides, their tardiness wasn’t entirely his fault. Phillip had been late getting back to the theater. The Keens had apologized for not being back sooner, but the ice cream place had been packed. After saying goodnight to the gang of girls, Phillip had finally decided to join them. Lee had thanked the Keens for letting Phillip join them, and once his oldest stepson had settled in the back and buckled his seat belt, they had headed for home.

The whole ride home, Jamie sat quietly in the passenger seat, listening to Phillip go on and on about Lori and her two friends. Phillip proudly retold how all three girls fought with each other over who was going to get to sit next to him during the movie.

Lee glanced over at Jamie a few times, and knew that his youngest stepson was still processing everything he had learned, earlier. Lee was reminded, once again, of just how much Jamie took after his mother. He wasn’t your usual teenager with raging hormones. He was a sensible young man, with a heart of gold. Jamie was going to grow up to be a caring and compassionate man.

Peering up into the rearview mirror at Phillip, Lee mentally shook his head. It was weird how Phillip, with his outlook on girls, once again reminded him of himself at that age. Strangely enough, Lee couldn’t imagine Joe being that girl crazy as a boy. Joe was too much like Amanda, good-hearted and very down-to-earth. ‘Did I really just compliment my wife’s ex? Not that I don’t like Joe, but I mean, look what the guy gave up. He left behind a loving family, just to help out underprivileged countries." Lee mentally berated himself for that thought. If it hadn’t been for Joe leaving them behind, Amanda wouldn’t have been at the train station that day. He’d still be spending his life as bachelor, and would never have found his soul mate. A shiver went through him. He couldn’t imagine life without Amanda, and dark thoughts like those might just cause the nightmares to return.

Taking his mind off of such gloomy ideas, Lee looked at the clock on the dash as he pulled the Jeep onto Maplewood Drive. It read a quarter to eleven. "Not too bad, we’re only forty-five minutes late. I hope she hasn’t called out the National Guard," he chuckled. He almost added something about how, instead, she had just called Billy, when he remembered he was talking to his stepsons. He glanced quickly at Jamie, who gave him a half smile and a wink.

Phillip, on the other, hand decided to comment, "Oh, don’t worry, Lee. She’s probably just pacing back in forth in front of the window in the family room. You won’t be in too much trouble."

Jamie jumped in to defend his stepfather. Turning in his seat he stared at his older brother. "Well, Bird Brain, if you hadn’t insisted on going to the movies with Lori and her friends, we would’ve been home hours ago."

As much as Lee enjoyed listening to the boys, he had no desire for a fight to break out between the two brothers, especially not while they were under his watch. "Jamie," Lee called out, his voice a bit fatherly in nature, "as much as I appreciate you sticking up for me, I don’t think calling your brother names will solve anything. Don’t worry, I’ll take full responsibility for being late." He winked at Jamie, who smiled in return and tilted his head to look out the front window. ‘Besides, when she finds out that I told Jamie everything, without her, I’ll be lucky if she ever lets me move into the house.’

Pulling into the driveway, a contented smile crossed Lee’s lips. ‘Yes, it’s a great feeling to be able to pull "into" the driveway.’ Granted, it was Amanda’s car, but the act itself just felt right. No sooner had he put the car in park, than Phillip had jumped out and was heading towards the house. Lee’s contented smile quickly faded as he noticed the curtains in the front window move. "Phillip was right, your mom was watching for us."

Jamie, who was just getting ready to open his door, turned to face Lee. "Don’t worry, Lee. Mom loves you and she trusts you. She knows that we’ve been in good hands." Opening the car door, Jamie got out and followed his brother’s path.

Lee felt a tug on his heartstrings. Despite what Amanda might think, telling Jamie the whole truth had been the right thing to do. Jamie was definitely more mature than his brother, even if Phillip was two years older. Of course, now that Jamie knew, they would also have to tell Phillip the truth about their jobs. Somehow, that knowledge made him feel better. ‘Yes, it’ll be good to have all our secrets out in the open.’ Getting out of the car, he closed the door and headed towards the house to face the music.

As he reached the back door, he could hear Phillip relating the events of his evening. Lee quietly slipped into the house, trying to keep in the background in order to assess his wife’s mood.

Amanda had watched Lee slink in the back door, and knew that her husband probably thought he was in trouble. Truth was, the movie she and her mother had been watching had just ended. She trusted Lee and knew that if something bad had happened, she would have heard about it by now. However, she might as well have some fun messing with Lee’s mind a little, before letting him off the hook.

Once Phillip had finished telling about his escapades, Amanda turned to her youngest son. "And how was your evening, Jamie? What did you and Lee end up doing?"

Jamie glanced back towards Lee before responding. "Lee and I went to the library, then got ice cream. All in all, it was a very informative evening." He raised his head and placed a kiss on his mother’s cheek. "Goodnight, Mom. Goodnight, Lee." Flashing Lee a smile, he added on his way towards the stairs, "See in you the morning for breakfast."

Lee smiled back. "Goodnight, Jamie. I promise to be here bright and early." Jamie just nodded and began his ascent up the steps.

Phillip looked puzzled, but shrugged. "Hey, Dufus. Wait up. Of course, Lee’s coming by for breakfast. He said he’d bring the donuts."

"Phillip, don’t call you brother names," Amanda admonished as she moved closer to her husband.

"Sorry, Mom. Goodnight." Then as he reached the bottom stair, Phillip stopped. "Goodnight, Lee. Thanks for letting me go to the movies tonight. You’re the best."

"Goodnight, Phillip, and you’re welcome," Lee responded.

With the boys out of sight, Amanda put her hands on her hips and put on her best "you’re in trouble, Buster" face.

Lee saw her features turn serious and knew he was in hot water. Swallowing, he started to explain. "Amanda, I’m really sorry we were late and I didn’t call. I keep telling you that we need to put a car phone in your car. I was going to call from the theater, but for some reason, they have this stupid policy that, unless you buy a ticket, they won’t let you go in to use the pay phone. In fact, I think you should be very proud of me for not starting a fight over that little detail. Besides, I didn’t want to interrupt your evening with your mother…"

All hope Amanda had had of being stern with her husband went out the window as she listened to him ramble. Unable to control herself, she burst into laughter.

Lee stopped his explanations and stared at his wife. "What’s so funny?"

Amanda walked over to him and put her arms around his neck. "Let’s just put it this way, if Billy or Francine had been here, they’d tell you that you’ve been spending way too much time with me."

Lee shot her a quizzical look, and then, suddenly, realized that he had been going on and on. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he bent down and kissed her soundly on the lips. "So does this mean you’re not upset with me?"

Amanda smiled up at him. "Oh, Lee. You were never in trouble. I trust you with the boys, besides, they’re your sons, too." Raising her head she placed her lips on his and gave him a very passionate kiss.

Lee let his hands wander up and down her back. He couldn’t wait until he could get caught up in the moment, pick up his wife, and carry her to their bedroom, but that time wasn’t now. Reluctantly he broke the kiss. Needing to get his mind off of all the ways he could pleasure his wife, he asked, "How did it go with your mother?"

Amanda stepped out of the embrace, then took Lee’s hand in hers and started towards the couch.

Lee sat down and pulled Amanda down next to him. She swung her legs over his lap and lay her head on his chest.

"Actually, it didn’t go too badly." She let her finger trace circles on his chest. "She’ll be mad at us…well, I suspect, mostly me…for awhile, but for the most part, she seemed very happy for us. Once she gets over the hurt of being kept in the dark, things will get back to normal, but until then, don’t be surprised if she’s a little distant." Amanda turned her head to look back in the direction of the stairs. "I do have to say, though, she was glad that I wasn’t breaking the news because I had to." Looking up at her husband, she saw a confused look upon his face. "Let’s just say that she was glad that I wasn’t telling her because I was pregnant."

Amanda felt Lee stiffen at that comment. He coughed out the next words, "Where did that come from?"

Smiling against his shirt, she replayed her mother’s words. "‘Amanda, why are you telling me now, anyway? Are you pregnant? Are you telling me because you have to?’ I almost lost it." Turning her head, she looked her husband in the eye. "Besides, would it be so terrible if I were pregnant?"

Lee paused for a moment and watched her face. Pulling back, so he could really see her expression, a strange feeling came over him. "Amanda…are you trying to tell me something?"

Amanda laughed. Leaning up, she kissed his cheek. "No, Sweetheart, I’m not. But since we are on this topic, I figured I’d find out what your thoughts on the subject were."

Lee ran his right hand through his hair. "I don’t know, Amanda. I guess I never really gave it any thought…I mean, well…I guess the thought had crossed my mind once or twice, but with all the secrecy, I never really thought seriously about it."

Amanda took his free hand in hers. "To be honest, until Mother said it tonight, I never really thought seriously about it, either." Bringing his hand to her lips, she kissed his palm. "I would love to bring a child into this world, a child who was a symbol of our love for each other, but I think we need to take things slowly. I think we need to get everything straightened out with the family we have now, before we think about adding to it."

Lee let the idea sink in. As the thought of bringing a little girl or boy into the world with his Amanda settled, he pulled her closer to him. Leaning down, he whispered, "Well, I, for one, can’t wait to get started on that project."

Amanda rolled her eyes and swatted him with her hand. "Didn’t you hear what I just said? We haven’t even told the boys that you’re their stepfather, yet." Her tone had started out light, but now, grew serious. "Don’t you think we need to let them get used to the idea that you’re a part of the family first? Besides, we kept our marriage a secret in order to protect our family, and now, you’re thinking seriously of bringing another life into the equation…?"

Lee interrupted her by pulling her closer and kissing her. "Amanda, calm down. I know you’re right. We can’t predict what the future will hold, but in the meantime, you can’t deny me the pleasure of loving my wife."

Amanda relaxed. "Oh, now I see where your mind is. Well, if that’s what you were getting at, I guess I can think of a few things to satisfy your desire." She started moving her hands round in circles, lower and lower, until they were just above his jeans.

Lee knew where his wife was going. He also knew that the boys were upstairs, along with Dotty, and even if two out of the three knew they were married, now was not the time to start something that they couldn’t finish. Reluctantly, he moved his hand to stop her motions. "Uh, Amanda. As much as I would love to go where you’re thinking, I should probably head home. We have a lot to talk about with the boys tomorrow."

Amanda nodded in agreement. "I guess you’re right." Moving her hands to rest on his legs, she looked up into his eyes. "Hey, I never asked you how things went with Jamie. You two must have had some bonding experience. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you two so relaxed with each other. That reminds me, did you find out what was bothering him?"

Lee shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Actually, I did…we did…I mean, we had a nice long talk, and I found out that he was having some girl troubles. I think we got that all straightened out, but…" He let go of Amanda, and ran his hand through his hair, again.

Amanda looked at her husband, curiously. "Lee? Whatever you have to say, I’ll understand, you know that. We’ve been through this before; there’s no reason for you to be afraid to tell me things."

Lee decided it was better to get the truth out, since that was beginning to be the theme of the weekend. Running his hand through his hair, yet again, he decided to get on with the confession. "Well, you see…Jamie told me some things, and well, I realized that he deserved to know the truth…"

Amanda removed her legs from Lee’s lap, and rose from the couch. "Exactly what truth are you referring to, Lee?"

Lee got up, and moved to stand next to her. Taking her right hand in his left, he continued, "Let’s just say that Jamie won’t be surprised tomorrow when we tell him and Phillip that we’re already married." To Lee’s surprise, Amanda sat back down and looked up at him, her eyes soft, not angry.

"I take it, that since he’s still talking to you, and to me for that matter, that it went pretty well?" she asked, patting the cushion next to her.

Lee joined her, and then turned to face her. "Actually, he took that part better than the first part."

Amanda looked her husband in the eye. "What first part? Out with it, Lee," she demanded. "What exactly did you tell him?"

"He told me some things about his friend’s father. That’s why he’s been so down. This girl he likes, actually cares about, has a very overprotective father, who just happens to work for the F.B.I. Well, we got to talking…" Lee paused to see what kind of reaction he would get from his wife.

Amanda, getting an odd feeling that she knew what was coming, crossed her arms in front of her. "And…?"

Lee broke eye contact with her, and averted his gaze to his lap. "Well, I can’t explain it, Amanda. Something came over me, and I felt he needed to know everything."

Rising from her seat, she moved and sat on the coffee table, directly in front of her husband. In a motherly tone, she asked, "Are you telling me that you told him the truth about our jobs?"

Lee looked up and caught her penetrating gaze. Finding it difficult to form any words, he just nodded.

Again rising to her feet, Amanda scolded, "I can’t believe you. Why? You know we discussed not telling them. We thought it was best that they not know." She paused and took in her husband’s features. Instead of him preparing to protest, a usual reaction to her reprimands, she saw peace in his eyes. Giving up, she sat back down, but crossed her arms, defiantly.

"Amanda, I don’t know why, but I just knew it was the right thing to do. I know we had discussed not telling the boys about the Agency, but I felt he deserved to know." Reaching over, he put a hand on her knee. "Believe it or not, when I started to tell him, he had already figured it out. You have one smart boy there, Amanda. He told me that he kind of suspected that we weren’t filmmakers. He hinted that he’d figured it out, mostly because I know nothing about film."

Lee watched as a small smile crossed her lips, and he felt himself relax a little. "I know that I should have waited for you, but…Amanda…I can’t explain it. Maybe a part of me was excited that Jamie and I were finally opening up to each other. I think I needed to tell him the truth, in order to fully gain his trust."

Amanda let her resolve drop, and moved her hand to gently caress his cheek. "It’s not exactly how we planned on telling them. I guess telling Phillip won’t be that hard now, besides, he wasn’t the one I was really worried about. Mother wasn’t exactly happy with me when she found out we weren’t going to tell the boys about our jobs, anyway. I guess it’s best to get the whole truth out."

"So you’re not mad?"

"No, I guess I’m not. Not really, anyway. I can’t say I’m happy about it, but it’s like they say…the truth will set you free." With all the confessions that had taken place that evening, Amanda was suddenly feeling very tired. Rising, she reached out her hand and invited him to join her. "Come on, Dear Husband. It’s time for bed."

Lee looked at her questioningly. "Yeah, I guess I should be going home. I have to get up early and pick up donuts for breakfast." He rose and wrapped his arms around his wife one more time, before hitting the road.

Amanda encircled her husband’s waist, and held him tight. "I realize Phillip still doesn’t know the truth, but I’m too tired to come up with a real reason why you shouldn’t stay. So you’re more than welcome to sleep here tonight. That is, unless you would rather drive home and go to bed, alone?" A teasing smile played on her lips. "Which, if that’s the case…I won’t stop you."

Lee let his mouth drop momentarily, before quickly overcoming the shock. "Are you sure?" he asked tentatively.

Amanda nodded. "This evening was pretty tough, on both of us, I imagine, and I, for one, don’t feel like going to bed alone." Yawning, she moved her hand to cover her mouth. "It’s probably not the most ethical thing to do, but I really don’t feel like being without you tonight."

A feeling of joy ran through Lee. Bending down, he picked Amanda up in his arms, and headed for the stairs.

"I guess that means you’re staying?" Amanda smiled. Feeling his strong arms holding her, she was overcome with contentment at the thought of spending the entire night with her husband, under the same roof as their family. Suddenly, she realized that she wasn’t all that tired anymore and started placing feather-light kisses along Lee’s neck. "Oh, but Lee…," she whispered.

Lee stopped their ascent. "What?" he asked cautiously.

"You’re still going to have to get up early. You did promise to get donuts for breakfast." She laughed, and then continued her trail of kisses.

"If you keep that up, my dear wife, I don’t think I’ll have to worry about waking up early, I may never get to sleep," he said seductively.

"Are you making me a promise you intend to keep?" Amanda whispered into his ear.

"Oh, yes, Mrs. Stetson. I’m going to enjoy having you in my arms for the entire night, knowing that all the late night departures are over. And I’m ready to start that right now." A gleam of excitement flashed in his eyes as he took the rest of the steps two at a time.