- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Setting: This takes place in season four. Sometime after Stemwinder, but before Nightcrawler. This is an AU short piece of fluff.

Disclaimer: The story is mine--warts and all. Oh, yeah, the usual legal mumbo-jumbo applies.

Thanks to Monica for allowing me to use her circumstances in this story. A special thanks to Rita and Miss Edna for their wonderful beta job.
+++++

From her perch on the gurney, Amanda watched Lee pace the small confines of the hospital's emergency room, impatiently waiting for the NEST team to arrive. His hair stood on end from the countless times he'd run his fingers through it. Her head pounded, and her hand throbbed in time to his every step. She wished he'd just relax and sit down.

"Lee," she whispered.

"Where the hell are they? They should have been here by now."

Worry marred his handsome face. The tick in his jaw danced a mile a minute, and if he furrowed his brow any harder, his eyebrows would disappear. The sparkling hazel eyes she loved so much now held traces of contrition, along with worry and love. He blamed himself for the little mishap that garnered a trip to the hospital. She dropped the ice bag next to her hip and reached for him. In two strides, he stood next to her and laced his fingers with hers.

"Relax, I'm fine. I just have a little headache."

He picked up the ice pack and held it to the knot on the back of her head. "You fell two stories. You could have been seriously hurt, or worse. NEXT TIME WE DO IT MY WAY! That means you stay in the car!"

His raised voice made her wince. She placed her fingers over his lips, silencing his tirade. "I will not stay in the car. I'm your partner and that means it's my job to watch your back. And I'm gonna do my job. Look, you didn't see Jacoby enter the building. I did. Tell me, what was I supposed to do, just sit there and let them ambush you?"

He hung his head, looking just like Jamie when she scolded him. "No." His voice was so low she barely heard him.

She let go of his hand, then lifted his chin so she could look in his eyes. "I didn't hear you."

"I said, no, you couldn't let them ambush me. I just wish you didn't have to get hurt saving my skin."

"So do I. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat. And if our positions were reversed, you'd have done the exact same thing. Look on the bright side. That loose floorboard gave you the opportunity to
apprehend Jacoby and his cohorts."

"And take ten years off my life. I love you, Amanda. I can't lose you."

"I love you, too." Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted the NEST doctor enter the room. "I'm not going anywhere.

+++

Lee helped her off the gurney and into a nearby wheelchair. He pushed the chair as far down the hall as the nurse would allow. She squeezed his fingers and hoped he'd relax now that the doctor had arrived, but somehow she knew he wouldn't. Hopefully, Billy would arrive soon, and Lee would have something to occupy his time.

After a MRI and several x-rays, the doctors pronounced her well enough to be released, with orders to rest for the next few weeks. She had a mild concussion and severely torn ligaments in her left wrist. A heavy plaster cast adorned her arm from her fingers to her elbow. A sling held her injured arm close to her body, keeping it immobile. Lee was going to go crazy when he saw it.

A nurse pushed Amanda's wheelchair into the waiting room. She looked around for Lee and spotted him in a corner. Judging by the expression on his face, and the fact that his hair looked like he'd stuck his finger in a light socket, she figured he'd been involved in a very heated discussion with Billy and Francine.

The NEST doctor cleared his throat, and the trio turned and walked to where he stood. Billy identified himself as her section chief, and the doctor addressed his remarks to him.

"Mrs. King has suffered a mild concussion and severely torn ligaments. I've prescribed a mild painkiller and bed rest for the next two weeks. She'll be in the cast anywhere from six to eight
weeks, depending on how quickly she heals. She shouldn't be alone for the next few days. And if she loses consciousness, get her back here ASAP."

"Thank you, doctor," Billy said as they shook hands.

Lee knelt in front of her and held her hand. She saw such sadness in his eyes. "I'm sorry, Amanda. Dr. Smyth ordered me back to the Agency for debriefing. Francine will take you home. When you feel up to it, she'll take your statement. I'll come over and check on you just as soon as I finish. I'll even bring Chinese food for dinner."

She smiled at him. "That sounds nice." Right now, all she really wanted to do was go home and slide under the covers.

Lee stood and guided her out to Francine's car. Taking care not to jostle her too much, he settled her inside the red hatchback and made sure she was comfortable, before sliding into the passenger seat of Billy's car.

Amanda leaned her head back against the seat and closed her eyes as Francine drove her home.

End