- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Notes: Answer to challenge line: Next time, we do it my way. I have no idea how close this is to actually answering it, but needed a timeout from my bad day at work. Grammar? Probably awful, particularly at the end. *Sue,* I think I stole your idea and made it B5.

Disclaimer: JMS and WB own the characters. I am not making any profit from this story
John sighed and put the wrench down. "I'm telling you, Delenn, NEXT TIME, WE DO IT MY WAY." He didn't yell at her, but was very emphatic in his tone.

"But, John, Michael said it was to be done this way, and as it is a gift from him, we should honor his wishes."

"Delenn . . . this is too difficult." John looked up at his wife, who stood while he was bent over the project, and gave her his most pleading eyes. She had only entered the room moments before.

She picked up a thin set of flimsies, "John, these instructions have not been touched."

"I know," he sighed, leaning forward to tighten a nut, only to have the wrench slip and jam his index finger. John flung the offending tool away.

Delenn ignored her husband's ill temper. "Why don't I start reading them from the beginning?"

"That's fine, I haven't gotten far, anyway. I'm going to get something cold to drink, first. I tell you, this is ridiculous, though."

John walked down the hall to the family's small kitchenette. That birthday gift from Michael Garibaldi to David was no simple task to assemble. The small scooter wasn't something he should have to put together. He wasn't a handyman, he was President. Still, Michael had sent that damnable video with instructions, reminding John that a boy's first big kid bike (scooter or pedals) should always be put together by his dad and added that David couldn't see it till this was
accomplished. Now, the night before David's birthday, John was still trying to keep the gift a secret and put it together. John sighed and returned to Delenn.

"Do you feel better?"

"Yes, I guess so."

"Instruction 1: Once all parts are laid out, insert Pipetab A into Pipeslot B." Delenn said without emotion. John chuckled, found the parts and obeyed.

2 hours later ...

Delenn flipped the last flimsy over and read, "You have now completed construction of the Superjets Little Tykes Scooter. Please enjoy."

"Enjoy?" John was exasperated. Looking around he added the last minute touch of a helmet to the left side handlebar.

"I suppose," Delenn said, "You can enjoy the fact that it is completed and our six-year-old will really light up when he sees it."

"I guess so. Thank you for straightening me out, but next time, someone else can put his gifts together. That's why they offer it at the stores."

"Be proud of yourself. You did get it together before he actually turned 6." Delenn said. They admired the scooter together for a while before going to bed.

The End