Disclaimers: Scarecrow and Mrs King belongs to Warner Bros. and Shoot The Moon Productions. No copyright infringement is intended. All other original characters, situations, ect. are the property of the author.
Endgame

Monday, August 12, 2002

2:30 PM

"The fabrication department is drawing up a version of the plans for
you to give to Necci," Francine said. "By the time he figures out
they're fakes, you and your family should be well out of there."

"That's if everything goes according to plan," Lee said.

"Lee," Francine touched his arm. "We're going to have the best
possible team to back you up on this- I promise that we'll get them
both out safely."

"How is Jenna holding up?" Billy said.

"Not too well Billy," Lee said, running one hand through his hair. "At
least Amanda's there with her this time, but she's been through too
much already."

"I still can't believe she followed you," Billy said. "Actually with
Jenna being Amanda's child maybe I can believe that. And you told her
the truth?"

Lee nodded. "But I don't know how much of it she's actually processed
yet," he said. "She wasn't exactly in the best frame of mind to hear
the news. Billy if something goes wrong-"

"It won't," Billy said firmly. "You have to believe that."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"I have the plans, Franco," Lee said. "What now?"

"There's a warehouse at the intersection of Water Street and M
Street," Franco said. "That's where we'll make the exchange."

"Jenna and Amanda will be there?"

"They'll be there," Franco said. "No tricks, Mr. Stetson. I don't have
to remind you of what will happen to them if you try anything."

Lee's hand tightened around the phone. "And I don't have to remind you
of what'll happen if any harm comes to them," he said. "Now let me
talk to my wife."

"Nice try, Mr. Stetson, but that isn't part of our deal. I expect you
at the warehouse within the hour." With that the phone went dead.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

6:30 PM

The room they'd been locked in was almost as hot as the van itself.
The only light came from a small window high in the ceiling, and now
that dusk was falling, that light was growing dim. There were two
cots-Jenna and Amanda rested on one and Augie on the other. Jenna
was sitting with her knees drawn up to her chest. She had spoken very
little since they'd been untied and thrown in here. Amanda sat beside
her daughter, her arm around Jenna's shoulders- pulling her
close-trying to give her some comfort.

"I'm so sorry this happened, Mrs. Stetson," Augie said. His face was
bruised, one eye swollen shut and there was a large cut on his
forehead. "I didn't mean for it to turn out this way."

"I know you didn't, Augie," Amanda said.

"What's with the kid?" Augie said. "Doesn't talk very much, does she?"

"She's just scared," Amanda said, rubbing Jenna's back and hoping to
God that was all it really was.

"I understand," Augie said. "I'm kind of scared myself. I don't know
if I'll ever see Elsie again. She's a real sweet lady too, you know?"

"I know," Amanda said.

There was the sound of a key being turned in the lock and then the
door opened. Franco Necci stood there, holding a tray which carried
three bowls.

"Some food while you wait," he said, putting the tray on the floor.
Then he left, locking the door back behind him. Augie took his share
while Amanda retrieved hers and Jenna's.

"Here, sweetheart," Amanda said, handing a bowl and spoon to Jenna. .
"You really need to eat something."

"I'm not hungry," Jenna said, her voice low.

"I know you're not," Amanda said. "But you haven't eaten since this
morning and you really need to keep up your strength."

Jenna took the bowl and spoon. "Actually I didn't really eat this
morning," she said. "I was too upset-mom, did you know this was
oatmeal?"

"Yes," Amanda said. "Now eat-that's an order."

Jenna raised spoon to her mouth, wrinkling her nose. She took a bite.
"Oh yuck -It doesn't even have sugar in it."

"Eat," Amanda said.

"I don't blame you, Jenna." Augie said. "I hate oatmeal too."

"Just three more spoonfuls, sweetheart," Amanda said, shooting Augie a
look.

Jenna dipped her spoon in the bowl. "Mom, what's going to happen to
us?" she asked suddenly.

"I don't know," Amanda said. "But I do know that your father won't
rest until he finds a way out of this."

"You've been in these kinds of situations before, haven't you?" Jenna
said. "With dad?"

Amanda nodded. "A few times," she said. "Why?"

"Do you ever get used to it?" Jenna said. "You know, so you're not
scared? Because I've been trying not to be, but I'm still scared."
Amanda saw Jenna's hand begin to shake, the spoon hitting the side of
the bowl. Quickly she took the bowl and spoon from her and pulled her
daughter into an embrace.

"Jenna listen to me," she said. "It's okay to be scared, but this time
you're not alone. I promise you we'll do everything we can to get out
of this. Just try and believe that."

"I'll try," Jenna said.

Just then the door opened and Rudolpho stood there, holding a gun, an
unpleasant smile on his face. Amanda's arms tightened protectively
around Jenna.

"You're both going on a little ride now," he said.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

A little ride. Those words echoed in Jenna's head as they bumped
along in the back of the van. It was dark in here now-much darker
that before. Jenna's wrists were tied again, the rough-feeling ropes
cutting into her skin. She'd completely lost track of how long they'd
been in here, but she didn't guess that it really mattered.

`We're going on a little ride, Jenna. Would you like a little ride?"

Jenna could remember Gary saying that, his voice frighteningly gentle,
the cold of the gun barrel running up her cheek. Despite the
mugginess of the evening Jenna was beginning to shiver.

"Jenna?" the voice sounded like it was coming from very far away. It
took Jenna a moment to realize that it was her mom's voice.

"Sorry," she said. "I'm here."

"Sweetheart I got my ropes off," Mom said. "I'm going to loosen yours
so you can slip out of them if you have to, okay?"

"Okay," Jenna said. She felt her mother's hands loosening her bonds.
There was some pain there, but it seemed distant-almost like it was
happening to someone else. The van came to a halt. Next thing Jenna
knew Rudolpho was yelling at her pulling her up and taking her out of
the van.

SMK SMK SMK SMK

"Mr. Stetson?"

"I'm here, Franco," Lee said, stepping out of the shadows. "Where are
you?"

"Right here."

As Lee's eyes adjusted to the light he could see several figures
moving towards him. Franco holding Amanda by one arm, pulling her along.

And Jenna- Rudolpho was holding her in a tight grip, his large arm
almost crushing her thin shoulders as he half-led, half-dragged her
along. His gun was jammed right against the side of Jenna's head.
Lee was relieved to see that apart from the darkening bruise on one
cheek his daughter seemed to be relatively unharmed. But then he
looked into Jenna's eyes-there was a blankness there that frightened him.

"There's no need for that," he said. "Let Jenna go."

"It's insurance," Franco said. "I know you won't do anything to risk
your family's life. The plans, please."

"Here," Lee handed him the papers. Franco studied the plans briefly.

"Very good," he said, slipping the plans into this jacket pocket.
"And now that I have these there's no need to keep any of you alive.
Rudolpho?"

There was a click as Rudolpho released the safety. Lee saw Jenna's
eyes close, a single tear running down her cheek. Franco removed his
gun from its holster and pulled Amanda closer, putting the gun against
her head.

"Your wife first, or your child," he said. "You decide."

There were several thumps and hisses, and suddenly the room was filled
with thick smoke. Amanda took advantage of the distraction to knock
the gun from Franco's hand while Lee punched the older man hard in the
stomach and then in the jaw. Franco fell to the ground and lay there,
unmoving.

"Lee where's Jenna?" Amanda said. For one moment time seemed to stop
as Lee whirled around, not seeing them-and then he spotted two figures
in the distance, almost obscured by the smoke.

"Amanda, you take care of Franco," he said. "I'll get them."

SMK SMK SMK SMK

Jenna's eyes stung, the smoke making it hard to breathe as she was
dragged along. She could see figures moving in the smoke and hear
people shouting.

"Faster, Jenna," Rudolpho murmured against her ear. "Or I take care of
you right here and now."

What happened next was a bit of a blur. All Jenna knew was that
something knocked her flat on the ground. Turning over, she watched
as a dark-clad figure straddled Rudolpho, hitting him until the large
man finally stopped moving. The dark figure got up and moved towards
her, kneeling down. Jenna tried to move away but she didn't really
have the strength.

"Jenna?" The figure said. It was her dad, concerned hazel eyes
looking into her own. "Oh thank God." He said. Suddenly Jenna was
pulled into a tight hug.

"Everything's okay now, munchkin," Dad was saying, his hand smoothing her
hair.. "It's all over. Everything's okay."

The last thing that Jenna remembered clearly was trying to stand up.
Her legs shook violently and a wave of nausea threatened to overwhelm
her. A roaring noise was the last sound that Jenna heard before her
world went completely black.

Chapter End Notes:
To Be Continued