- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Time Frame: third season, strictly AU
PART ONE: THE JOURNEY

“Mrs. Marston?” buzzed Billy. “When Lee and Amanda get here, can you send them down to my office, please?”

“Yes, Mr. Melrose,” replied Mrs. Marston, the watchdog of the Agency. She was the first person anyone coming in the Georgetown entrance would see. No sooner were the words out of her mouth then in came Amanda King, followed immediatelyby Lee Stetson, aka Scarecrow.

The two had a certain glow about them, a happiness inside that couldn’t help but bubble out when they were together. Mrs. King always had a warm smile for everyone she met. Everyone liked Mrs. King, Lee Stetson included, thought Mrs. Marston. His usual cocky attitude had seemingly been replaced by a genuine warmth towards Amanda. Everyone respected Scarecrow, but it seemed no one
really knew him, except Amanda.

“Scarecrow, Mrs. King,” called Mrs. Marston. She had been so busy speculating their relationship that she almost missed them before they went up to the Q-bureau.
This was Lee Stetson’s new office. Mrs. King still had a desk in the bullpen, but more often than not, could be found with Mr. Stetson. “Mr. Melrose would like to see you both in his office, please.” There! She haddelivered her message. Now she could go back to speculating.

With his hand on the small of her back, Lee and Amanda entered the bullpen. Its was the usual bustle of activity with phones ringing and agents chattering. Billy’s door was open and he was sitting at his desk. “What’s up, Billy?” and “Hello, Sir,” called Billy’s attention away from his perfect jelly donut and steaming hot coffee. “Damn,” he muttered to himself, “they are early.” Breakfast would have to wait.

“I have an assignment for the two of you. Actually, you will be alternating with Anderson and Miller.”

“How long is the assignment?” Amanda inquired. She had got pretty good at coming up with explanations as to why she was gone for days on end. Usually a photo shoot or a hunt for a location would appease her mother. She hoped this assignment was not too long. Her mother and the boys planned on visiting Aunt Lillian for a week over spring break. She had told them she would probably be able to join them for at least a couple of days.

“You both leave tomorrow for Briarwood Inn. It is in Campfield, Ohio. It shouldn’t take you more than six hours to get there. It is a simple assignment. One of you will be contacted at the Peabody Zoo. The other one of you will be there just for back-up in case something goes wrong. Our source said he would contact you in front of the monkey house, on the hour, sometime between 10 and 4, Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. Lee, you and Amanda have the day shift. Anderson and Miller have the night shift. You see, our contact wasn’t sure if it was a.m. or p.m. You two got lucky. Anderson and Miller will be up with the owls.”

“Uh, Billy?” asked Lee. “Don’t you think four agents, I mean three agents and one civilian is a little overkill for this assignment?” Lee just wasn’t sure three or four days and nights alone with his partner was the best idea right now. Amanda was his best friend. He was comfortable with that. He cared for her...a lot. But lately when he looked at her, all he could think of was her creamy skin, how the little whisps of hair fell on the nape of her neck and how much he wanted to push that hair away and taste her skin, caress her shoulder and...

“Scarecrow!” shouted Billy.

Lee knew by Billy’s tone that it was probably not the first time he called his name.

“If you are going to ask a question, at least pretend to listen to the answer! As I was about to say, this is a new contact. He is a little nervous and we are not sure if we can trust him entirely. Because you and Amanda will be hanging around for three or four days, we needed to mix things up a bit. Amanda, the first day you will be posing as a grad student doing observations at the monkey house. Lee, you will be back-up as a maintenance man.”

“Oh, great,” Lee muttered. “I get to clean for six hours!”

“Now, Lee. You didn’t hear me complain when I had to pretend I was a maid after I had just cleaned my house. Come on now. You can do this,” Amanda said with a smile and a hand on Lee’s arm.

The gesture did not go unnoticed by Billy. No one had the effect on Lee that Amanda did, both good and bad. No one could get under Scarecrow’s skin or cool him down quicker than Amanda King.

“You’re right, Amanda,” said Lee, with a smirk. “It will be fun.”

“Anyway,” said Billy. “That is only for the first day. The second day Amanda will be tour guide for a group of fourth graders from Illinois. Lee, you will be assisting her,” he said with a smile.

“See, Lee,” Amanda said with a grin, “you will be assisting me.”

“Great! This assignment gets better and better,” Lee pouted.

“And finally, Scarecrow, you will be an architect examining the layout of the zoo for a new monkey house,” said Billy.

“For six hours?! Come on man! How am I going to do that for six hours?” Lee complained.

“Be creative,” Billy said with a chuckle. “Amanda, you will be acting as the snake mother...”

“Now wait a minute, Sir. Are you sure you want me to be around snakes? I meandon’t they bite or squeeze or something?”, sputtered Amanda.

“Come on now, Amanda. It will be fun,” Lee said with a big toothy grin.

“All the details are on your desk in the Q-bureau, Lee. Dismissed!” grumbled Billy. What I wouldn’t pay for pictures of these two doing their covers! chuckled Billy.

“Come on, Amanda. The lion has roared,” Lee said with a smile as he gentlyplaced his left hand on Amanda’s left elbow and led her out the door.

“Okay, Amanda,” said Lee as they got to the Q-bureau. Let’s go over the details of this assignment and then cut out a little early. Go home and pack and I will pickyou up at 10:00a.m. tomorrow. With a stop for lunch, we will be at Briarwood Innby dinner tomorrow night. That will give us enough time to settle in before 9:00a.m. on Wednesday. Sound okay to you? Oh, yeah. What kind of story are you going to come up with to tell your mother?,” asked Lee.

“I could just say another location shoot. She does raise her eyebrows in question lately no matter what I tell her,” sighed Amanda. “I love my job, Lee, but I do get tired of the lies,” she said.

“I know, Amanda, and I’m sorry. I never should have let you stay involved,” Lee grunted.

“Lee, we’ve been through this before. I wanted to be involved. And you didn’t let me. I let me,” grinned Amanda. “After the first case, I think the choice wasn’t yours to make anymore. I am glad I stuck it out with you. I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Where she was getting this courage to be so truthful was beyond her understanding right now. All she knew is that she could never imagine her life without her partner, her friend, Lee Stetson. At times she got little glimpses of how
much she meant to her partner. The panic in his voice when he couldn’t find her or the gentle touch of his hand on her back or arm came to mind. She knew she had made a connection to Lee Stetson. Her heart had found his . And she wasn’t goingto let it go.

“All right, then,” conceded Lee. “We will get these details hammered out and I willpick you up tomorrow.”

“Sounds great, Lee, “ Amanda said with a smile. “I will go study up on my snakes,” she grimaced.

“Oh, Amanda,” Lee laughed. ‘I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Dotty took it in stride when Amanda told her she was going to be gone for a few days. Of course, that was only after she assured her that she would be joining them.

“That film company makes you work too much! Don’t they know you have a family to take care of? You know, Amanda, you really should...” Dotty’s ramble was cut short.

“Mother, the cab is here to take you to the train station. You really shouldn’t keep them waiting,” Amanda said. She breathed a sigh of relief. She did not want to hear another “Your work doesn’t appreciate you” speech from her mother. Stay away from the red hats, thought Amanda. Your life will never be the same and we don’t need two spies in the family, she thought with a laugh.

“Bye, fellas! I love you,” Amanda said as she kissed the top of each of their heads and pulled them both into a bear hug. “Be good for Grandma and I will see you in a few days,” Amanda sighed. She loved being with her family. But now she had to get ready to spend three or four days and nights with Lee Stetson. Not a bad way to spend some time and get paid for it, too, thought Amanda. She waved to her family and headed upstairs to pack.

“Oh, Lee! What a beautiful inn! Look! I think I see a trail over there! There’s a pond, too!” Amanda exclaimed.

Amanda’s words washed over Lee who was deep in thought. He was on an introspective journey of his feelings for his partner, his best friend. She was, without a doubt, beautiful and loyal and caring and ... the list went on. It had taken him almost three years to admit this to himself, never mind to Amanda. He needed her...and that scared the hell out of him.

“Do you think they do, Lee? Lee? Hello?” Amanda waved her hand in front of Lee’s eyes. “Are you okay? You seem kind of distracted. You were a millionmiles away,” she said.

“I’m just thinking about the case, Amanda. That’s all,” he explained.

“Are you sure everything is okay?” she asked. The truth was he seemed distant today. He was quiet in the car as if he had a huge problem to work out in his head. She hoped he wasn’t disappointed that she was on the case with him. She enjoyed his company and although today he was distracted, lately she had seen him to be more at peace with himself. She loved him. She was in love with him. But he was her best friend. She would never risk that. She would never ask more from himthan he could give. She just loved him.

“No, really, Amanda. I am fine. This place is beautiful. Let’s head on in.” With that, Lee picked up their bags and headed to the door.

“Here we are at Room 208,” said Amanda.

“I am in 209, right across the hall,” he smiled. Thank God for doors. What he really needed, he thought, was to put some distance between he and Amanda so he could regroup.

“Lee? I saw a sandwich shop downstairs. Do you want to grab a bite to eat with me?” asked Amanda.

“Sure. Let me just put my bags in.” So much for putting distance between them. This case was going to be a real challenge, Lee thought.

Dinner was a quiet affair. Soon it was time to go back to their rooms.

“Uh, goodnight, Amanda. Sleep well,” Lee said with a smile. “We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow.”

“Goodnight, Lee,” said Amanda as she suppressed a yawn. “I guess you want to be well rested so you can clean tomorrow,” she laughed.

“Yeah,” Lee snorted. “Goodnight, Mrs. King.”

Although both were tired, Lee and Amanda each fell into a fitful sleep. Dreams haunted Amanda. Her dreams were more like flashes of pictures. In eachof these pictures, Lee stood before her. As she reached out to touch him, he said, “Goodnight, Mrs. King” and disappeared into thin air. With that, Amanda fell to the ground, her body wracked with sobs. Amanda woke up with a start. These
visions troubled her. Each time she attempted to sleep again, they came back in flashes, like a slide show, going faster and faster. Finally, at 5:30a.m., she gave up trying to sleep and hopped in the shower, feeling more tired than when she went to bed.

Lee was also restless. His dreams were of Amanda. This was not unusual for him. A great deal of his time at night, awake or asleep, was spent dreaming about Amanda. In this case however, they were unsettling. Lee was always reaching forher, trying to save her from a fall. Just as their fingers would touch, she would spiral away from him and plummet to the ground. He would gasp in horror, and tears would pour down his face. He woke with a start, face wet with tears and his legs all tangled up in the sheets. He, too, struggled to the shower to shake this feeling on impending doom.

A ray of sunshine found the small crack in the curtains of Amanda’s room and bestowed its brilliance on her face. After her shower, she had dressed with care, and done her make-up trying to hide the dark circles under her eyes. Francine would have a field day with my appearance today, Amanda thought with a laugh. Amanda took her cover very seriously. After a quick look in the mirror, Amanda
decided she looked every bit the grad student. Grabbing her room key and the earpiece Leatherneck had given her and Lee, she headed out the door.

Lee was relaxing in his room, very close to falling back to sleep. The shower rejuvenated his body for a short time, but his brain was still cluttered and confused. He had his dayglow orange jumpsuit on, complete with the Peabody Zoo patch over his left breast. Francine would love this one, he thought, laughing out loud. Still laughing, he answered the door.

Before him stood an angel, his angel, looking tired but, oh so beautiful! He drank in her hair, pulled up in a pony tail, her smiling eyes and those desirable lips. Whoa, Stetson! No time for that now, he thought. He grabbed her hand and headed toward the elevators, ready for their first day on the job.

Amanda took the 10:00a.m. watch and hung closely to the entrance to the monkey house. Lee mulled around, always within watching distance to ensure Amanda’s safety. She was not contacted so she went back to playing her cover. At 11:00a.m. it was Lee’s turn to wait for the informant. He pretended to be very involved with a bench in front of the monkey house, acting like a fix-it man. This cover was a little tricky. Lee’s idea of fixing something consisted of calling his apartment supervisor. In any event, he was not contacted either. Lee and Amanda continued to rotate responsibilities until, at 4:30p.m., Lee called it a day .

“Lee, you know, those monkeys are really fascinating to watch. They have a definite loyalty to each other. It is almost like watching people,” said Amanda.

Lee smiled, loving the fact that Amanda threw herself into every job. Hell, who was he kidding. He loved everything about her. I think I am in love with her, hethought.

“Lee? Lee?” Amanda’s words brought him out of his reverie.

“Will you look at that monkey?! I think he has a hard-on,” she whispered and blushed at the same time.

“I’ll be damned. It sure looks like it,” replied Lee.

“Well, I hope he finds a girl monkey somewhere or he is going to get awfullyfrustrated,” she countered.

I know the feeling, thought Lee. “Let’s head back to the hotel, Amanda.” With that he placed his hand on the small of her back and led her out of the zoo.

“Hey, Lee? I think I would like to take a walk on the trail. We have a little bit oftime before dinner. Do you want to join me?” Amanda asked.

“Thanks, Amanda. But I’ll take a raincheck. I think I’ll try a power nap. I’ll meet you upstairs at 6:30 for dinner. Does that sound okay?” asked Lee.

“Sounds great,” replied Amanda. “See you then.”

“Be careful,” called Lee over his shoulder as he got on the elevator. “I’ll see you for dinner.”

PART TWO: THE DISCOVERY

Amanda really cherished this alone time. She got so little of it at home and wanted so little of it at work. The beautiful landscape and the clean spring air brought a contentment to Amanda. Not that she was unhappy--she was. She had a healthy family and a job she loved. The biggest question in her life was her partner and best friend, Lee Stetson. He had come a long way from the cocky, self -assured loner. She knew he respected her as an agent , in training, he would say. She thought he even respected her as a person. She had caught him staring at her a few times. Maybe he realized she was a woman. Well, she knew that he knew she was a woman. But she wasn’t Randi-baby, Cyndi or Crystal. She was Amanda and she wanted nothing more from him than he was prepared to give. She valued his friendship and his opinions. She also valued him, as a person. I am in love with him, she thought with a smile as she continued on her walk.

Lee was on a similar road to discovery. He stretched out on the couch in his room, with a glass of scotch in his hand. Thank heaven for mini-bars, he thought. Although in reality, what he really needed was sleep. This inner struggle was doing nothing for the sense of balance that Lee Stetson liked to have in his life: A different woman every week; Amanda’s smiling face in the office each day; Nightclubs and restaurants for food and beverages; A little dose of reality at 4247 Maplewood Drive; a fast car to cruise around in; warm brown eyes to pull him in; a gentle touch on his arm for assurance; the small of her back to rest his hand upon; the strength of her fingers encircling his own; the ache in his arms and in his heart to hold her...Oh my God! I am in love with her! This realization came to Lee Stetson in a flash. I can’t be in love with her! I don’t deserve her, do I? Don’t I deserve to be happy? Could Amanda feel the same way? She makes me happy. She accepts me as I am. Oh my God! I love Amanda, my best friend!

This inner announcement lifted a tremendous weight off Lee’s shoulders. His heart was now free. He loved Amanda and that was okay! He wanted what his parents had. He wanted it all--the house, the boys, and hell, he even welcomed the mother. A sense of calm descended upon Lee Stetson and he experienced a tremendous peace of mind. He tipped his head back, put his feet up on the coffee table, and dozed off to sleep.

Knock Knock Knock

Loud knocking pulled Lee Stetson from his much needed sleep.

“Who is it?” he grumbled.

“It’s me, Lee. It’s Amanda,” she replied.

“Hold on a minute,” he said. Standing on the other side of the door was his beloved Amanda. This information brought a smile to his face as he raked his hand through his hair. As he leaned in to turn the knob on the door, he realized his love was right there and here he was, dressed in boxers, with porcupine looking hair and stinky scotch breath. He pulled the door open with one hand and turned quickly, heading to the bathroom for a much needed shower. “I’ll be right with you,” he called overhis shoulder. “ I fell asleep,” he said.

“No problem. I’ll make myself at home,” said Amanda.

About ten minutes later, a very clean and very sexy Lee Stetson emerged from the bathroom wearing the hotel bathrobe. In his haste, he had forgotten his clothes.

“I forgot my clothes,” he said, stating the obvious.

“I noticed,” said Amanda. “Not that I was looking, of course,” she said with ablush. She turned quickly around but not before noticing his smooth chest and water droplets glistening off his neck.

Well, I’ll be, thought Lee with a smile. There might be hope for us yet.

A short time later, Lee came out fully dressed and ready for dinner.

“You ready?” he asked as he reached for her hand.

“Ow, Lee. I fell while on the trail and hurt my arm. I kind of jammed my finger, too,” said Amanda.

“Let me see that! Amanda, you need to have that looked at! It could be broken. Come on. I am taking you to the emergency room,” he said, walking towards the door. “I never should have let you go out alone.”

“Lee, I am fine. Don’t be silly. The boys get injuries like this all the time. I just tripped on the trail. It’s no big deal. If it will make you feel better, if it swells or still hurts tomorrow, you can take me. After dinner tonight, I will go for a swim. The water will help it feel better. And if you don’t feel like going, other people are always at the pool.”

“Okay,” he grumbled. “I just worry about you, Amanda. I don’t want anything to happen to you,” said Lee.

“I don’t want anything to happen to you either, Lee. You are a good friend and a good man,” she said with a smile. “Here. Take my other hand.”

As their hands touched, the warmth spread from their fingertips all the way down to their toes. Lee’s eyes locked on Amanda’s and he leaned towards her. With a kiss on her cheek, he said, “You’re a good friend, too, Mrs. King.”

Amanda’s eyes were wide and her heart was beating twice the normal rate. Did she imagine the intensity in his eyes? She didn’t think so. With a heavy sigh, Amanda headed to the elevator, with happy thoughts in her head.

Dinner was quiet again tonight, but Amanda thought she had never seen Lee so relaxed. She caught him staring at her a couple of times over the top of the menu. He would then clear his throat, look away and make some comment about the restaurant. Lee was as attentive as always but there was something in his eyes, some glimmer, Amanda couldn’t quite define.

Lee had made a vow to himself to take it slow with Amanda. After all, she was his best friend and he wouldn’t want to do anything to mess that up. The restaurant was very romantic with a field stone fireplace on one wall with candles placed strategically around the room allowing for discretion but providing just enough light to gaze into each other’s eyes. She had caught him staring a couple of times. But he thought he had played it cool, though. Any carefully choreographed moves
were lost on Amanda. She always accepted him as Lee Stetson, the person. She could see through any phoniness he had ever put out. He never needed to be fake with her. He knew she was always just herself with him. That was the Amanda he fell in love with. She was equally beautiful in a pair of jeans as in an evening gown.
He loved her, all of her.

After dinner, the two headed back to their floor. Amanda’s arm and finger was throbbing by now but she hoped Lee would not notice her discomfort.

“I am going to head to the pool,” said Amanda. “Are you up for a swim?” she asked with a shy smile.

“No, thanks, but I’ll come down in a little bit after I call Billy. Are you
sure it is still open? It’s after ten o’clock,’ he asked.

“Yes. I checked out the hotel directory. It is open until eleven. I’ll see you down there,” replied Amanda, as she headed to her own door.

Behind closed doors, tears came to Amanda’s eyes. Her arm and finger hurt so much. She couldn’t wait to get the in the water. With great difficulty, she got intoher suit and headed to the pool.

Meanwhile, Lee was waiting for a call back from Billy. He had called to check inbut their conversation was interrupted. He didn’t want to leave Amanda at the pool by herself too long. He just wanted to see her. He was startled out of his thoughtsby the phone ringing.

“Stetson,” he said into the phone.

“Good news, Lee. Anderson and Miller met the contact. You and Amanda are free to come home tomorrow. Stop by the agency on the way home to be de-briefed,” said Billy.

“Billy, we didn’t gather any information today, really. We just played our covers. Do you still think we need to come in?” asked Lee.

“I guess not. We will see you both on Friday, then, at 9:00a.m. in my office. Tell Amanda that I am glad she doesn’t have to be snake mother,” said Billy with a laugh. “I wouldn’t want to do that either.”

“Thanks a lot, Billy. See you on Friday,” replied Lee as he hung up. He then grabbed his key and headed to the pool.

Lee found the pool room with little difficulty. There was still a few people sitting in chairs on the patio and a group of teens in one corner of the shallow end. Then there was Amanda.

Something in the way she moves, looks my way or calls my name

The lyrics to that James Taylor song came unbidden to Lee’s mind as he watched Amanda do laps--one arm, then the other, with her head turned to the side for occasional quick breaths. She was beauty in motion. His heart swelled with pride and love for all the many talents Amanda possessed and he had yet to discover about her. She truly was a remarkable woman and he would be forever lucky to have her in his life.

Amanda’s arm felt a bit better and she stopped to examine her finger. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Lee watching her. Her breath caught in her throat as he walked towards her, those muscular long legs making short work of the walk. He laughed when he realized she had been checking out his legs. She blushed and headed towards the ladder.

“Billy called. Anderson and Miller met the contact. He came at 10:00p.m. and had great information for us. Billy said we can head on home tomorrow. There is no need to de-brief us because we didn’t gather any information. He also said if you still wanted to be snake mother, he could arrange it,” Lee teased.

“No, thank you,” Amanda laughed. “My two boys are enough for me,” she said while getting out of the pool.

Lee greeted her with a warm towel and wrapped it around her shoulders. He rubbed his arm up and down hers to dry her. He kept his arm there and they got into the elevator.

“Thanks for coming to get me,” said Amanda. “My arm does feel better. I bet it will be as good as new tomorrow,” she hoped.

“If it doesn’t, we are getting it checked out,” Lee said with a scowl.

Lee took Amanda’s key from her hand and opened her door.

“Pleasant dreams,” he said as he leaned in to kiss her forehead.

“Thanks, Lee . I am glad you’re my friend,” she replied as she stood on her tip toes and kissed his cheek.

With a heavy sigh, they both turned and went into their rooms.

DripDripDripDrip

Amanda awoke with a start from the most wonderful dream about Lee to feel water dripping onto her face. After she got up to call the front desk, WHOOSH! A waterfall, along with the ceiling, landed PLOP in her bed. Oh my gosh, she thought.

Across the hall, Lee was lost in his own incredible dream about Amanda when he heard a knock, knock, knock. Stumbling to the door, Lee was ready to give whoever was on the other side a piece of his mind.

“I’m sorry to bother you, Lee. You see, Sally upstairs fell asleep in the bathtub and the water kept falling out onto the floor. Well, it came through my ceiling. The water, not the tub, and landed on my bed. I called the front desk and there are no other rooms because of some monkey convention. So I was wondering if...”

“Stop, Amanda. Are you okay?” He loved her rambles, although at 2:30 in themorning he could think of other things he could be doing with Amanda. “You can sleep here. The couch pulls out into a bed. I’ll sleep there and you can have my bed.” God! Amanda in my bed! I guess it doesn’t count if I’m not there, too, he thought with a laugh. “Why don’t you go get all your things? They probably won’t let you back in at all, okay? Everything is fine, Amanda,” he said.

“Thanks, Lee. I really am sorry to be a bother,” she said.

“No bother, Amanda. And remember that we can sleep in a bit tomorrow morning. We won’t leave until after breakfast,” he answered.

“You don’t eat breakfast,” Amanda said with a smirk. With that she turned and headed to her room.

The sun was a little higher in the sky before one of the occupants in Room 209 was bothered by it. Lee Stetson awoke with a smile, thinking how his life was right on track.

“Lee, can you help me?”

Lee thought for sure he was dreaming. Amanda’s voice sounded small and strained.

“Lee, can you help me please?

At this point the brilliant Scarecrow, secret agent man, figured out that Amanda was in the bathroom.

“Lee, can you help me now?”

Yes, I can help remove any clothing you have on. I can help you realize how much I love you. I can help you...

“Lee? Are you awake in there? I need your help.”

“Sorry, Amanda. I’ll be right in,” said Lee.

He approached the door with trepidation, not knowing what he would find on the other side.

“Lee? My arm is so stiff this morning and my finger is a bit swollen. I managed to shrug into my blouse but I can’t do the buttons,” said Amanda.

Lee walked around to face Amanda, nervous about the task on hand. Without saying a word, he reached for the buttons, hoping Amanda wouldn’t notice his trembling hands. Taking a deep breath, he went to task and began to fasten those six little buttons.

Amanda was trying very hard to keep her breathing under control. As long as she didn’t look into those hazel eyes, she would probably be okay. Temptation strong, she looked up through her lashes, without raising her head, to peer at Lee. His eyes were almost closed and his hands were shaking. And there, right in front of her, was his smooth, bare chest. Amanda felt her breath catch and hoped Lee wouldn’t notice.

As Lee struggled to finish the last of the buttons, he caught a peek of the lacetrimmed bra under her blouse. This must be some kind of test, he thought. No man has this amount of self control, not with Amanda. You fool! You resisted her for almost three years! Lee almost laughed out loud. Finally done with his task, Lee walked to the door, ready to give her some privacy.

“Lee? I’m not quite done.” Amanda felt ridiculous asking Lee to help dress her when all she really wanted was to have him undress her. “I still need help with my skirt.”

How Lee’s mind blocked out the fact that she had a towel wrapped around her waist, was beyond him.

“I think I can slip it on, but, my arm and fingers are too stiff to zipper it. I just need you to zipper it. Can you do that for me?” she asked in a small voice that was echoing in the expansive bathroom. She slipped it on and then told Lee he could come back in. “The zipper is in the back,” she said.

Okay. A zipper I can handle. If I can do a blouse, a zipper on a skirt should be no problem, Lee thought. Lee walked around to face her back where the zipper was. Apparently, Lee’s plan was not thought out. There, not one foot away, was the back of Amanda’s neck. This was his undoing. He took a deep breath, brushed aside the wisps of hair and grazed his lips across her neck just to taste her. He heard her gasp and he waited for what seemed like an eternity to see if there would be any other reaction. Amanda turned in his arms, placing her good arm around his neck. Her sore arm rested around his waist and she pulled him closer. Staring into her eyes, with a crooked smile and a shake of his head, Lee leaned in to taste her lips.

“Amanda,” Lee breathed.

“Lee,” Amanda replied.

Amanda nipped at Lee’s lower lip before plunging her tongue into his awaiting mouth. He stroked the inside of her cheek with his tongue and licked her teeth. A moan came from deep inside his throat as he plundered her mouth in pleasure. Amanda pulled his body closer, feeling his arousal against her abdomen. Lee carefully picked her up and carried her to the bed, laying her reverently down. He made fast work of the buttons he fastened not ten minutes ago, and pushed her blouse off her shoulders. He kissed the valley between her breasts as he stroked one aroused nipple through her bra. Amanda arched her back in pleasure, encouraging him to take more of her.

“May I unbuckle this?” asked Lee as he pointed to her bra. Amanda nodded as she grasped his pajama bottoms with her good arm. Lee sensed her struggle and pulled both pajama bottoms and boxers off in one swift movement.

Lee unbuckled her bra and began to suck her left breast while kneading the right. Amanda’s nipples were aroused and hard and she continued to arch her back as she stroked his butt. She moved her hand from his butt, to his thigh and then finally onto his hard penis. She stroked the head of the penis, rubbing the moisture around
the tip. She grabbed the shaft, moving her hand up and down, enjoying the pleasure she was obviously giving Lee.

Lee moved his mouth to her right breast and then down to her belly button. He explored it with his tongue while tangling his hand in the thatch of hair. With his thumb, he found her clit and began to rub it in a circular motion. Amanda writhed , somewhere between pain and pleasure. Lee then dipped first one , then two fingers into her moist center. He slid his fingers in and out and tried to control her bucking with his other hand. He felt Amanda rake her fingernails across his scalp. To experience such a level of passion was a new sensation for him. He couldn’t get enough of her. He gently removed his fingers and quickly replaced them with his tongue, sucking and nipping at her core. Lee flicked his tongue in and around her nubbin, basking in the pleasure she was feeling. He grabbed her knees with his hands and pushed them back, wanting to taste all of her.

Amanda was mindless at this point. No one had ever brought her such a feeling of complete fulfillment. She ached for Lee to be inside her. Pulling at his head, Amanda tried to bring Lee up so she could look into his face. Instead, he smiled and changed his angle so he was just outof reach. He felt her body start to contract around his tongue.

“Please, Lee. I need you inside me,” she begged.

“I’ll be there soon,” he assured her. First he wanted it to be only for her. He had waited a lifetime to find someone that loved him like Amanda. Surely he could wait a few more minutes.

Amanda clutched at the sheets next to her body as wave after wave of pleasure surrounded her. Her orgasm brought a euphoria completely new to her. She closed her eyes and screamed in pleasure, “Lee!”

Lee felt her whole body shudder and smiled at the fact that he brought her there. He glided up her body, subjecting it to kisses along the way. Her breathing was still labored as Lee stroked her stomach and her breasts. As Lee made it to her face, Amanda opened her eyes to see those beautiful hazel eyes staring back.

“I love you, Amanda,” he said as he planted light kisses around her face. “You complete me,” he sighed.

“I love you, too, Lee,” she whispered. She placed her hand on his hip and then slid it onto his throbbing penis. “Turnabout is fair play,” she whispered as she moved her mouth down his jaw to his smooth chest. She nibbled at his nipples then rolled her tongue down his body until she found his belly button. She continued to stroke his penis with her hand and she licked and nipped down his hips onto his thighs. She held his penis in one hand as she cupped his testicles with the other. Lee was wild with arousal. As she encircled the head of his penis with her tongue, she felt Lee’s legs tremor with delight.

“Please, Amanda, stop. It will be over to soon,” Lee said in a voice hoarse with passion.

Amanda smiled as she ran her tongue up and down his shaft. She then sucked the head of his penis until she was sure he was nearing the edge. Amanda straddled Lee’s legs, hovering right above his penis. Slowly she slid down his length part way and then pulled up quickly. Lee grabbed at her breast and suckled it while playing with the other with his fingers. Amanda descended again onto his penis, this time taking all of him in before pulling off again. Lee was mindless and as much as he wanted it to last, he knew he couldn’t wait much longer. He rolled Amanda onto her back.

“I love you, “ he muttered as he entered her, thrusting ever so slowly. “I love you,” he said again thrusting deeper and deeper until he was completely inside her. Amanda placed her legs over Lee’s shoulders, wanting as much of him inside her as she could get.

“I love you, too,” said Amanda as she met each thrust with one of her own.

Together, Lee and Amanda rocked, bringing the other to more fulfillment than they each thought possible. They climaxed together, screaming the other’s name. Their bodies were finally joined as their souls had been years ago. They found happiness together on their journey to discovery.

PART THREE

Amanda basked in Lee's arms, soaking up the warmth she felt on her body as well as in her heart. It had been quite a journey to this point in her life, she reflected. On her wedding day to Joe, she thought she had found true happiness forever. At that time, Amanda had just wanted a home, and she wanted Joe to be happy. She was a shell of a person then, and she hadn't even realized it. With Lee, Amanda had discovered a part of herself she didn't even know was missing. With Lee, her self-confidence soared, as well as her independence and self-reliance. With Lee, she felt like a stronger person, both mentally and emotionally. "This is what true happiness really is," Amanda thought with a smile.

Lee and Amanda had spent hours exploring each other's bodies. Lee had kissed or caressed every inch of Amanda's skin, yet he still felt like he couldn't get enough of her. Her taste and smell was uniquely Amanda--a combination of some dew-kissed flower and musk. Never had his heart been so full as when he was sharing his love with Amanda. Their lovemaking was passionate and intense one
moment and gentle and deliberate the next. The emotions their lovemaking conjured up were so profound; it brought tears to both their eyes. With Amanda, Lee finally knew what making love was--a union of two bodies and two souls. With Amanda, he had found an equal, a counter part, no less important to him than himself. With Amanda, Lee had found a home that he never knew he needed. "This is what true happiness really is," Lee thought with a sigh.

Even with her back to him, Amanda could tell Lee was awake by the change in his breathing pattern. Having spent almost three years partnered with Lee had fine-tuned Amanda's observation skills when it came to the Scarecrow. She rolled to her back and was greeted by sparking hazel eyes and a dazzling smile.

"Good morning, Lee," she said.

"Good afternoon, Amanda," he corrected.

"Yes, it is," she replied as she glanced at the clock. She reached up and stroked Lee's cheek, gazing lazily into his eyes.

"Good thing we're in no hurry today, Mrs. King. We wouldn't want to rush now, would we?" asked Lee as he gently leaned in to kiss her lips. Amanda wrapped one hand around his neck and raked his back with her nails from the other. The pupils in his eyes dilated with passion as he descended upon her. "Oh, Amanda," he whispered between kisses, "what did I ever do without you? I love you. Do you have any idea what that means?" Lee asked.

"Lee, of course I know what that means!" she laughed. "I bagged the Scarecrow!" she exclaimed.

Lee snorted in laughter. "Yes, you certainly did," he added. "What else does it mean?" he asked tenderly.

"It means I get to live happily ever after, with you, my best friend. It means I have your support, as always. It also means I get to do this anytime I want," she snickered as she grabbed his penis. "I love you, too, Lee," she added as she dove under the covers and placed her mouth on the tip of his penis.

All rational thought was gone from Lee's mind the moment Amanda put her hand on his shaft. Hell, all rational thought was gone the moment he saw her at the train station years ago. What kind of agent would pass off a package to a complete stranger? Lee relied on his instincts. His instincts told him that this woman was to be trusted; he could depend on her to carry out his task. He was right about trusting Amanda. Here she was with his penis in her mouth and his heart in his hands. Yes, she could definitely be trusted.

Amanda rolled her tongue around the tip as she stroked his shaft with her nails. She sucked gently, lavishing in the moisture already there. She cupped his testicles as Lee moaned mindlessly. This fueled the passion Amanda felt, and she continued her ministrations while Lee moaned and bucked. He delved his fingers into her hair and attempted to bring her face close to his. Amanda resisted and focused on her task at hand.

"Amanda," Lee gulped. "I can't hang on! Please come here…" Lee trailed off. He clenched his jaw in an attempt to refrain from climaxing.

It was empowering for her to see the profound effect she had on Lee. Had it only been last night when she questioned his true feelings for her? It felt as if they had always been together. Every inch of her was attuned to every cell of his.

"I'm here," Amanda answered, as she brought her head up to join him. She locked eyes with Lee and gasped at the passion she saw there. He grabbed her hips and rolled her to her back.

"My turn," he grunted. Placing his hand at the back of her neck, he ran his mouth down the valley between her breasts. He stopped to suck one nipple, then the other. Amanda arched her back in response as Lee gripped her rib cage and pressed her closer to him. He wanted her--all of her. He sucked and nipped at her belly button and grazed her thatch of hair with his mouth. Stroking the skin around her vagina, he felt her wetness there. He separated her outer lips with two fingers while Amanda cried his name out in pleasure. Lee found her nub and tickled it with his tongue. He plunged his tongue into her opening and rubbed her nub with his thumb. Amanda groaned his name and clenched his head between her thighs.

"Lee, I need you inside me now!" she muttered. She was so aroused just by exploring Lee, that she was already on the verge of her orgasm.

Lee placed both her knees over his shoulders and rose up to enter her. Amanda began to climax almost immediately as Lee thrust deeper into her. Her vaginal walls contracted around his penis as she trembled in ecstasy.

"Lee!" she wailed.

"I'm here, Amanda," whispered Lee as he, too, found himself on the edge. "I’m here for you always," he uttered as he fell into the throes of his orgasm. His breath was ragged with passion, and he enveloped Amanda into his arms to pull her closer. Their bodies crashed together like waves upon the sand. Finally, their bodies quieted, and they breathed in unison. Lee gently brushed her sweaty bangs off her forehead as he continued slowly rocking into her. He kissed her forehead and whispered, "I love you," as he stroked her back,
welcoming her back from the edge. Amanda's hips continued to move of their own volition, savoring their union for a moment more. Their bodies trembled together, reaffirming their love for one another.

"I love you, too," Amanda sighed. "You know what else, Scarecrow?" she asked.

"What, my love?" he replied as he stared longingly into her eyes.

"I'm very hungry!" she laughed. "It seems all this exercise builds up an appetite!"

"Oh, my Amanda," he answered. "We don't want you to run out of energy now, do we?" he asked devilishly.

The only reply was a laugh and SPLAT, a pillow to his face.

"Okay. I'll call room service," agreed Lee, as he rolled out of bed with a smile.

Amanda had blushed when the gentleman came to deliver the food. He wheeled the cart in, piled high with food, to find both she and Lee wearing only bathrobes and an unmade bed. He smiled at Amanda, winked at Lee and headed to the door.

"What must he think, Lee?" Amanda muttered as Lee tipped the man and closed the door after him.

"He knows what to think, Amanda. I am sure this is not the first time he has delivered food to people wearing bathrobes," Lee whispered.

"Lee, it is the middle of the day!" she exclaimed.

"I am sure he is thinking how lucky I am to have you, " said Lee as he grabbed at her butt and pulled her closer to him.

Amanda laughed at him and grabbed his butt in reply. She loved this playful side of Lee. He really brought out the best in her. "I'm the lucky one," she said with a smile.

"Come on. Let's eat," said Lee as he kissed her nose and pushed the cart to the little table and chairs in the corner.

"This really is a beautiful room, Lee," said Amanda.

"It pales in comparison to you, Amanda," Lee replied.

"Oh, come on, Stetson. Aren't you laying it on a little thick? You already scored, quite a few times, I might add. Are you looking for brownie points?" she asked.

"Only if it works, Amanda. Let's dine," he answered with a smile.

Lee and Amanda dined on turkey sandwiches, fruit cups and soda. There were chips to snack on and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. It really was a beautiful room. Along with a four poster bed and an amoire, there was this small dining area and a huge bathroom. Next to the dresser were a cheval mirror and a desk with a computer on it. "Everything I want is here. I never have to leave this room," thought Amanda.

"What are you thinking about so intently, Amanda?" Lee asked as he popped a grape into her mouth, followed by a kiss.

"Just how beautiful the room is and how I never want to leave it," she answered.

"Well, we don't have to be at work until 9:00a.m. tomorrow. If we leave here by four this afternoon, I could be tucking you into bed in Arlington by 10 o'clock," Lee said with a grin.

"Sounds like a plan, Scarecrow. Mother and the boys aren't home so maybe we could have a sleepover, huh?" she asked.

"Hmmm. Sounds tempting," he answered as he wiggled his eyebrows and smiled that devilish grin. "I'm through with lunch here so let me clean up this mess and hop into the shower. Care to join me?" Lee asked.

"Oh, I'm all for conserving water, Lee," she called over her shoulder as she headed to the bathroom. "Last one in is a monkey's uncle!"

"Would that be the one with the hard on?" Lee asked, laughingly. "Because if it is, I'm halfway there!"

Amanda's laughter could be heard echoing in the great expanse of the bathroom."This is where we started this morning, Lee," Amanda said with a smile. "I've always liked bathrooms," she giggled.

"Yeah, I know. Not one of the most romantic places I can think of. But, it turned out okay, didn't it?" he asked, as he untied the belt on her robe.

"Oh, yeah. It turned out more than okay, I think," she answered as she shrugged out of her robe. Lee's eyes widened as he watched her robe fall to the floor. Her beauty was breathtaking, both inside and out. It still amazed him that this vision loved him.

"Lee? Aren't you a bit overdressed for a shower?" she asked seductively as she pulled at his belt. Amanda was almost giddy with this newfound power. She felt like a butterfly that had just emerged from a cocoon. Her modesty and inhibitions were gone, or at least hidden, with Lee. She clutched his belt in one hand while pulling the robe off his shoulders with the other. His robe joined hers in a puddle on the floor. Taking Lee by the hand, Amanda led him into the shower.

The shower was huge, Amanda thought. It was almost as big as her whole bathroom at home. The floors and walls were lined with marble. There was a seat in there as well as two showerheads from the ceiling and four coming out of the walls. As Amanda leaned in to turn on the water, she felt Lee's gentle hand on her back. She turned to smile at him and found him intensely staring at her, mere inches away. She gasped in surprise and delight as he picked her up in his arms, and wrapped her legs around his waist. Lee pressed Amanda's back up against the wall and flattened his body to her, smothering her neck with kisses. She tilted her neck to left so that Lee would have better access. He kissed her collarbone and nipped at her shoulder as he wrapped his hands around her ribcage.

"Lee," she beckoned.

Lee needed no encouragement. He supported her with one arm as he slowly guided her down onto his awaiting penis. He was so hard, it was painful, and he groaned in response. Amanda took him in deeply, marveling at how well they fit together. Supporting her bottom with his knee, he snaked his hand between the two warm bodies, and found her nub. He massaged it with his finger as Amanda writhed with passion. He then wrapped his arms around her and thrust upward repeatedly. Amanda hung on for dear life as if riding a bull at a rodeo. She nibbled and sucked at his neck and collarbone, leaving bite marks there. She was spiraling out of control with passion, and began to climax. Lee, surprised he held out so long, joined her with one final thrust, as he emptied into her. With trembling legs and butt cheeks clenched, Lee stilled his body against Amanda's. She was panting heavily, still coming off the high of her orgasm. She slid her legs down to the floor to regain some stability. Still panting, she lay her head on Lee's chest and listened to his heartbeat and breathing return to normal.

"How about I wash your back?" Amanda offered with a smile.

"Only if I can wash yours," he countered.

The shower was heavenly. The water pummeled down around the two lovers as they washed each other's bodies. Not an inch of skin was left unexplored.

"Hey, Lee? As much as I am enjoying myself, and I swear I've never been cleaner, I'm turning into a prune here," Amanda laughed.

"I love prunes," laughed Lee. "But you're right, Amanda. It is almost three o'clock. We should be getting ready to go." Lee leaned over and turned the water off. Amanda admired the clean muscular lines of his back as he stretched to get some towels. "Let me dry you off," he said as he wrapped the towel around her. He rubbed his hands up and down her arms, careful to avoid the bruise. "Amanda, how is your arm feeling, anyway?" he asked.

"It's just sore, Lee. You know," she laughed, "I was kind of distracted today. I didn't think much about it."

Lee held out her arm in front of him. He gently caressed the bruised area with his lips. "Amanda, I love you. Please don't ever get tired of hearing that because I plan to say it as often as I can."

"Oh, Lee. I love you, too," she said as she pulled his head down to her for a kiss. "I will never get tired of hearing that. I hope you don't, either," she replied. Amanda picked her robe up off the floor and shrugged into it. "Lee? The mirror is all foggy in here. I'll go use the other one to put my make-up on."

"I'm glad I brought my electric razor. I don't need to see that clearly to use it. I'll be out in a bit," he answered.

Amanda looked at herself carefully in the mirror. "I should look different," she thought. "So much has changed since this morning." This joyous relationship was a long time coming. "Who would have thought, when I accepted that package, that I would be here right now?" she thought. That same cocky, arrogant spy had made love to her in the most unselfish way. He had brought her to new heights with his lovemaking--feeling things she didn't even know she was capable of feeling. Amanda even responded in ways that probably surprised Lee. She knew she had surprised herself. "God, I love that man," she muttered to herself.

"Thank you. I love you, too, Amanda," replied Lee with a gentle kiss upon her neck.

"Oh, Lee! You startled me! Still sneaking up on me, huh?" she asked.

"Well, I heard you say you loved some man. I was hoping that was my cue to come in the room," he answered with a laugh.

She turned to him and wrapped her arms around his neck, stroking his neck with her thumbs. She parted her lips and gently pulled his face to hers. She caught his bottom lip between her teeth and nipped and sucked on it. Lee parted his lips and found her tongue with his own. A groan emanated from somewhere deep in his throat as Amanda dropped her hands to his chest. She placed her palms flat on his chest and slowly trailed them down toward his waist. With seemingly expert hands, she untied his robe and pushed it off his shoulders. Lee made short work of doing the same to Amanda. Soon, her robe joined his on the floor as Lee scooped her up and lay her next to the robes. With a smile, Lee fluffed up one of the robes, and placed it under Amanda's
head.

"We want you to be very comfortable," he grinned. Kneeling next to her body, Lee began to kiss her breast and run his hands down the length of her torso. He kneaded her flat stomach with his right hand, and he massaged her breast with the other. His right hand soon found Amanda's triangle of hair and tangled his fingers in it.

"Oh. Lee," she moaned, with eyes tightly closed and her hands clutching the carpet.

Lee grazed her belly button with his tongue, sucking gently. His right hand separated her outer lips to find her nub. He stroked it gently and slowly inserted one finger. Lee straddled her then and replaced his finger with his tongue. She looked down to see Lee sucking and nipping at her bud. There was something completely erotic about watching Lee arouse her. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see her bent knee and Lee's head in the cheval mirror. She slowly lowered her leg so she could get a better glimpse. It was amazing, and it fueled her passion more as she began to buck in response. His head was bent and his tongue stretched long as he rolled it around her nub. As he turned his head to the side, he too caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror. He smiled and grabbed Amanda's hips to pull her closer, wanting to taste all of her.

Looking up, Amanda saw her opportunity to stimulate Lee. Placing her hand on his strong back, she gently pushed down so Lee's penis was just inches above her face. She reached out with her tongue and licked his tip. Lee groaned in response and lowered himself to her. She took him in her mouth fully and scraped her teeth along his shaft. She sucked the tip and rolled her tongue on the outer edge. She licked him again, up and down, as if eating an ice cream cone. She grabbed his hips and pulled him down even more, suckling his tip. Lee cried out in ecstasy and sucked harder on Amanda's nub. Seeing this in the mirror pushed Amanda over the edge. She contracted around Lee's tongue, unable to hold off any longer. So lost in her own orgasm, she gave an excruciatingly firm suck to Lee's penis, causing him to climax with her. As the adrenaline wore off, they savored the feeling of just holding each other, stroking the other's body. Lee turned his body and framed Amanda's face with his hands. He descended upon her for a kiss and tasted himself through her. They rolled together to their sides, facing each other. He ran his right hand up and down the length of her body, admiring yet again how beautiful it was. Lee entwined his fingers in hers and gently pushed her onto her back.

"I love you, Amanda," he whispered. "You are my life."

"I love you, too, Lee," she responded. "I've waited forever for you," she added with tears in her eyes.

"Let's take you home," he said, knowing that, at least in his mind, anywhere with Amanda was home. He helped Amanda to her feet and kissed her soundly on the nose. Together they packed their clothes and readied themselves for the next part of their journey together.

The End