- Text Size +
Pulling into the hotel parking lot, Lee eased the vette into place, turning off the engine quietly as he looked toward his wife. She had been silent the entire trip, only speaking when he prompted her for an answer. The closer they came to their destination the more uneasy she seemed.

"Manda, if this is really making you that uncomfortable we don't have to go inside," he whispered, reaching over and taking her hand tightly in his. She immediately intertwined her fingers through his, giving him a hard squeeze. "I just thought… you were really excited about this last month when we received the invitation in the mail. I thought you'd want to see your old friends."

"I do, at least a good majority of them. I haven't kept up with most since we graduated," she returned, looking toward the building.

"Then what's wrong honey? We had a wonderful time at your college reunion a few years ago. You've been trying to back out of this since we woke up this morning," he admitted, turning his body toward her in the small space available. "Who do you think might be inside that you're dreading to meet?"

Looking toward him quickly, Amanda saw the small smile on his face and marveled at his ability to read her so well. "Is it an old boyfriend?" he teased lightly. "Should I be worried that an old flame may try and steal my wife away from me?"

"That should be the farthest thing from your mind," she retorted dryly as she heard him chuckle.

"Then what is it?"

"There was this girl I went to school with," Amanda confessed softly looking down at her lap. "Her name was Meredith Morgan at the time. Most everyone called her M&M back then." Lee nodded listening quietly. "She was in the cheerleading squad with me our freshman year, that's how we met. She was pretty, popular, everything anyone wanted."

With a sigh, she shook her head. "At first I thought we were friends, it wasn't until a year or so later that I realized her kindness was just a smoke screen. She's very competitive Lee, she always has been. She's a user, she manipulates and bends people with her charm and good looks then just discards them away when she's had her fill."

Tightening her grip on his fingers, she took another breath. "When we first met she seemed really nice and you know how I am. I always see the good in people and refuse to think differently until it comes back and bites me. We hung around a lot that freshman year. We talked about the boys we liked, worked together on our homework… I really thought I'd made a good friend. It wasn't until that next year that I realized how mean and self centered she really was."

"What happened?" he questioned softly.

"She started out stealing the cheers we'd worked up over the summer, taking credit for them, sucking up to the other girls. I lost head cheerleader to her that year because of the fact. But it didn't end there. If it had, I could have gotten over it and moved on, but… then she set her sights on Barry Wilhelm."

"Who was that?"

"Barry was a friend. We'd gone out a few times, we weren't serious but we enjoyed being together and doing things. The moment she stepped into the picture Barry was gone. He no longer had time to go to the movies or a pep rally with me, he was always with Meredith."

Lee frowned, hearing the past hurt creeping back into his wife's tone. To him Barry Wilhelm sounded like a total jerk.

"The thing of it was… it didn't stop with Barry. Every time I went out with someone, no more than a few days later I'd see Meredith going out with the same boy. It was so frustrating," she admitted shaking her head. "I didn't know what to do about it. It was like she was trying to ruin my life. Everything I did she wanted to prove she could do it better."

"She was jealous of you," he returned gently.

"Of me? Why? What did I have for her to be jealous of?" Amanda asked looking toward him.

"Sweetheart, you would be amazed," he whispered smiling. Releasing her hand he reached up and caressed her jaw lightly, trailing his fingertips tenderly along the outline of her lips as he cupped her face. "You've got the most sweetest, wonderful, giving personality that I've known anyone to posses. You're kind and compassionate… every inch of your body is sensual and erotic. People flock around you and look up to you, men and women alike. Your understanding and friendship is like a magnet that draws on an inner desire that even I don't understand. I can easily see why she would be jealous of you and your gifts. If she is as self-centered and callus as you described then I can imagine she felt threatened by your popularity and that was the reason behind her past actions."

Amanda sat silent for a few moments then nodded her head in acceptance of his words. "But that wasn't all. What really upset me Lee, more than anything else, was after High School she dated Joe," she confessed softly, feeling his fingers delicately working their magic on her neck. "He went out with her three times while we were dating."

"Oh Manda…" 'That bastard! How could he do something like that to her?' he growled inwardly, this little tidbit of information just giving him all the more reason to dislike her ex-husband.

"He assured me nothing went on," she returned quickly, shaking her head. "But the fact was she went out with him and I'm not sure how I can deal with that. I haven't seen her since. I never really confronted her about it. The fact of it is… I said very little to Joe. I was so hurt… he had told me he loved me but he…"

"Hey," he pressed, turning her chin toward him. "Joe's in the past sweetheart, it's me now. Don't let this upset you, please. It happened twenty years go and I can guarantee that the woman isn't going to hurt you again," he whispered tenderly. "The odds are she probably isn't even going to be here tonight." He gave her a smile, allowing his thumb to trace small circles along her soft cheek. "You've got a bunch of friends inside probably dying to see you again. Don't let her actions of the past spoil this night for you. Let's go inside, I'd like to meet some of your school pals," he said smiling. "We can always leave early," he suggested lightly. "I've got pictures of the boys all ready to whip out and proudly pass around."

She smiled at his words, exhaling roughly. "You're right. I'm just being silly. Why should I let a rivalry of twenty years ago ruin our evening? I've got nothing to be apprehensive about."

"There you go. That's the Amanda I remember," Lee returned, flashing her a grin. "Sit tight and I'll come around." Opening the door, he swung his long form out and hurried around the car.

"Have I told you how breathtakingly handsome you are in that black suit this evening?" she asked as he assisted her from the vette.

"Thank you."

He smiled as she ran her fingers tenderly along his chest. "I think I like this almost as much as your tuxedo," she purred, leaning into him for a gentle kiss.

He groaned, pulling her tighter against his body, feeling her tongue surging with power against his. Allowing himself to enjoy the moment, his hands caressed and explored her familiar curves, drinking in the sensations she produced throughout his form. "Hmmm… I love you," he breathed, holding her close.

"I love you too," she returned, feeling his lips nibbling her throat with their caress. "We'd better go in before we get too side-tracked," she teased.

Grinning he pulled back, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "Yeah, I'm kinda bad about that, aren't I?"

"You're not hearing any complaints from me."


* * *


Walking inside with his arm firmly around her waist, Lee flashed her a bright smile as he led her toward the ballroom designated for the gathering. Stepping inside the big double doors both stopped, staring at the décor.

"Wow," he breathed in surprise. "They decked this place up."

"Oh yeah."

Throughout the large area tables were scattered about, white cloth table coverings dotting the tops with crystal wear and plates covering the surface. Huge bouquets of multi-colored flowers graced the tables as centerpieces with several other floor standing plants spread throughout the room. Streamers in her school's color draped the area with a big sign hanging across the center of the room in welcome for all the attendee's. Soft music filtered over the loudspeakers, giving a pleasing atmosphere to the large crowd of people already in attendance.

"Amanda? Amanda West, is that you?" a voice drew them to the right as both glanced over seeing a slim dark haired woman rising from behind a table which was covered in pamphlets and nametags. "It is you! Oh my God, it's been ages!" she exclaimed excitedly as she moved toward them.

"Donna Payton," Amanda returned as the two embraced quickly. "Look at you, you look wonderful," she said happily, pulling back from the woman's hug.

"Five marriages later and I'm still a Payton," Donna said laughing.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Amanda swallowed hard as Lee grinned beside her. It was clear to him that the woman before them wasn't the least bit upset about her predicament.

"Oh don't be sorry, I'm not," she returned brightly. "They weren't what I was looking for. I'm too independent to be tied down to one man. I'm not going to be changing my ways at this point in life. Do you know I ended up marrying Jimmy after High School? We lasted a whole ten months."

"Oh my," Amanda managed with a weak smile.

"Enough about me," Donna interrupted waving the conversation off with a flamboyant gesture as she looked toward Lee. "Tell me who this darling man is with you. You're going to be the hit of the night," she teased toward him.

He grinned taking her hand as she presented it, allowing Amanda to introduce him. "Donna this is my husband Lee Stetson," she said proudly.

"Pleased to meet you," he said pleasantly.

"Husband? Oh my God, if you didn't get the pick of the litter," Donna proclaimed smiling broadly toward Amanda. "You've been hanging out at the right watering hole. Come on let's get you signed in so you can mingle. Mercy if you haven't done better than Barry… he doesn't hold a candle to him," she continued stepping away, talking more to herself than them.

Lee chuckled wrapping his arm around his wife as they moved off after Donna. "She's very colorful," he observed.

"She's always been very outspoken," Amanda agreed.

"Did you know he's selling insurance now?" Donna asked turning back toward them.

"Who? Barry?" Amanda asked surprised as Donna handed over their nametags. "I thought he wanted to be a professor."

"Nah, he flunked out his first two years in College when he moved away," Donna continued, babbling on. "When he moved back home his father set him up in the family business. Him and his wife are sitting across the room at the far table. He's going to love seeing you again," she pressed motioning them toward the crowds. "Ask him about his kids, they've got five!"

"Five? Oh my goodness," Amanda laughed.

"Is this the Barry you were telling me about?" Lee inquired lightly as they made their way across the room.

"The one and same."

"Wow, imagine that. You could be married to an insurance tycoon with five kids."

Amanda gave him a smirking look and a hard nudge in the ribs as he laughed. "Very funny Stetson."

To Lee's delight, they were stopped several times as people began recognizing Amanda. He stood back, listening happily to all the wild times they recapped, pleased to see his wife laughing and enjoying herself after all the worry she'd put herself through. He was introduced and awed over by several women, thankfully for him, they were all still single or divorced. He wasn't in the mood to have to deal with any jealous husbands the way some of them went on about him.

Sticking close to Amanda's side, his fingers constantly intertwined with hers, he smiled and laughed, falling into conversation with a few of the women's spouses as the ladies reminisced old times. By the time they'd managed to traverse the majority of the floor, he'd snagged a couple of glasses of wine for them from a passing waiter and smiled pleasantly toward who only could be the elusive Barry Wilhelm as the man grinned broadly at Amanda.

"Mandy! You did come," he said happily, rising quickly to his feet and dragging Amanda away from Lee with a strong bear hug that nearly caused her to spill her wine down his back. "I wasn't sure if we'd see you after you didn't show up at our last get together. I thought you'd moved away."

"No, I've been here all my life," she managed, pulling herself away from his big arms. "Good lord Barry, you nearly squeezed me to death. Look at you, how have you been?" she asked smiling.

"I've been good," he returned nodding. "A few hairs lighter, and a few pounds heavier, but good." Giving her an approving look, he shook his head in wonder. "You're beautiful Mandy, the years have been great to you."

'A few hairs?' Lee thought smugly, looking the man over carefully. 'That's an understatement.' The man was in dire need of a chrome polish in his opinion. What hair he did have left had seemed to migrate down around his ears and across the back of his head. 'You're bald as a cue ball buck-o.'

"Thanks," Amanda returned blushing slightly at his compliment. "Barry, there's someone I'd like you to meet," she said quickly, turning toward Lee and taking his hand again. "This is my husband Lee Stetson, Lee, this is Barry Wilhelm, an old friend of mine."

"Hello, Barry," Lee offered lightly, tipping his glass in greeting. "I've heard a bit about you."

"Only good I hope," Barry teased. "It's good to meet you Lee. Are you taking good care of my Mandy?" he questioned, faking a serious tone.

"I think she's pretty happy," Lee returned then gave Amanda a look. "Mandy?" he muttered, leaning closer to her ear as Barry turned away from them and back to the table. "I thought you didn't like to be called Mandy."

"I don't," she returned through a plastered smile. "This is why."

"Ah," he breathed, grinning broadly at this little information.

"Mandy, Lee, this is my wife Estelle," Barry proudly introduced, holding his wife's hand as she rose from the table. "Estelle, this is Mandy We… ah… Mandy Stetson," he corrected quickly. "We were really good friends in High School."

"Call me Amanda," Amanda corrected sweetly, shaking hands with Estelle. "It's good to meet you."

Lee nodded his greeting as Barry motioned them to the vacant seats. "Sit down please. There's so much we need to talk about. What have you been up to Mandy? What have you been doing with yourself all these years?"

Lee pulled out her chair pushing her toward the table before he seated himself next her as Amanda spoke. "Well, I'm working for a film company right now, I've been there for the last five years," she said proudly as Estelle grinned. "I've got myself two wonderful boys, who are at home at this very moment probably pigging out on pizza and soda's," she said laughing.

"A film company, wow. Here in D.C.?" Barry questioned. "I don't remember hearing about that…"

"Oh it's nothing special, we deal in documentary pieces. 'The life and death struggle of the Caterpillar,' stuff like that," Lee interjected with an absent shrug. "We work behind the scenes, mostly in the film library and scouting locations."

"You work together?" Estelle asked surprised.

Amanda nodded, reaching over to caress the back of Lee's hand lying on the table. "Yes, in fact that's were we met," she confessed, giving her husband a tender smile. "Lee's my boss."

Lee chuckled, shaking his head. "Only in the office I assure you," he teased. "When it comes to the house, it's her home turf hands down."

"So how long have you two been married?" Barry inquired leaning forward as Lee intertwined his fingers with the slender ones of his wife. "And you said you have two boys at home eating pizza?"

Amanda laughed, shaking her head. "We've only been married two years and the boys are from a previous marriage. Phillip's our oldest, he just turned sixteen four months ago…"

"And drives like a maniac," Lee chuckled.

"He gets that from you, you know," Amanda returned.

"And Jamie's our youngest, he's only fourteen, but he's got a great head on his shoulders," Lee continued, flashing his wife a quick smile as he pulled his hand back, reaching into his suit jacket. "We've got pictures," he said proudly, pulling them out. "I heard you two have a few of your own."

"A few?" Estelle laughed as Barry rolled his eyes smiling. "We've got five, three girls and two boys. The boys are the oldest."

"We're hoping for a girl ourselves," Lee admitted shyly, handing over the pictures as Estelle quickly pulled hers out and passed them across the table. "But we haven't really decided when to start trying."

"Always try," Barry teased as he leaned in looking at the pictures his wife held. "And don't wait too long you two. We've learned if you wait for the money to be right or the housing space to be available you're never going to have any. Just go with the flow and let nature take its course. Do you have any of your own, Lee?" he asked looking over to Lee and Amanda who were admiring their horde of bandits.

"No, I don't. This is my first marriage," Lee admitted as Amanda and Estelle traded pictures. "You've got yourselves a wonderful set of children there."

"Thank you, yours are beautiful," Estelle returned smiling.

"Then you guys need to have a couple," Barry interrupted, motioning with his hands. "You'll fall in love with the pitter patter of little feet running all over the house. I love kids."

"I noticed." Lee grinned, looking toward Amanda as he wrapped his arm gently around the back of her chair. "I think we'll eventually take the plunge, but right now, with us both working, our jobs are just a bit too hectic and I refuse to have Amanda give up her hard earned career to be at home again with the kids unless that's what she really wants. We do well to work in family outings with the boys now."

"I would love to be out of the house and back in the workforce," Estelle commented truthfully. "I've been at home with the kids for the last twelve years and to tell you the truth, I crave adult interaction at times," she said smiling.

"Oh yeah, gone are the days of late night romantic dinners and nights on the town," Barry agreed. "This is the first time we've been out without the kids in nearly a year. I think I've forgotten how to dance."

Lee laughed, trailing his fingers along the back of Amanda's neck, feeling her chuckling beside him. In his opinion, the night was turning out fabulously. Amanda was relaxed and having a great time and he was enjoying himself tremendously meeting all her old friends.

"Amanda? Amanda," A voice rang out behind Amanda's shoulder, causing her to tense up almost the instant it was uttered. "Where's your handsome husband Joe?"

Feeling her muscles tighten Lee looked over his shoulder at the speaker in the same instant his wife turned quickly in her seat, looking up at the tall, blonde woman standing behind them.

"Meredith…"

TBC