Twist of Fate by Arla
Nathan and Kristin find each other in Hawaii just before the events of December 7, 1941 which would change the lives of many people.

Categories: Other Fandoms Characters: None
Genres: Action, Adventure, Angst, Drama
Warnings: Language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 10429 Read: 23540 Published: 12/03/14 Updated: 12/03/14
Story Notes:

This is in response to the "Pearl Harbor" challenge on the NKRA list. Your task is to take Nathan and Kristin , and anyone else from seaQuest and put them in the era of Pearl Harbor.  Write them as though they lived in that time and not the time period where seaQuest is set.

The characters should have the same personalities and basic backgrounds and should interact as they would on seaQuest. So Nathan would be a Captain in the Navy and Kristin would be a Doctor but there are some small things to remember that since it is 1941.. Jonathan would *not* be Nathan's XO nor would Katie be Chief Engineer.

You can have Nathan and Kristin already in an established relationship, or meet just in the days before the attack on Pearl Harbor. The rest of the details are up to you.  :o)

  Some minor details have been changed for the purposes of this story. This little tale, a slight retelling of the events of that fateful December morning is lovingly dedicated to those who lived through it and to those souls who perished that Sunday morning.  Your stories and your courage have touched our lives forever. We will never forget

President Roosevelt's "Day of Infamy" speech is copied verbatim and is shown in italics.  And the quote used at the end is  taken directly from the TV miniseries "Pearl" written by Sterling Silliphant

As always.. big thanks and hugs (and chocolate Nathan's go out to Maggie M for betaing this for me.

1. Chapter 1 by Arla

2. Chapter 2 by Arla

3. Chapter 3 by Arla

4. Chapter 4 by Arla

5. Chapter 5 by Arla

Chapter 1 by Arla
Author's Notes:

Twist of Fate

Saturday, November 1, 1941---- Hawaii

It was a beautiful morning, the sun just beginning to rise, painted the sky and the ocean in brilliant hues of orange and magenta.

Kristin Westphalen strolled barefoot in the surf, watching the sunrise and enjoying the peaceful quiet of the early morning. She'd only been in America for 6 months and had fallen in love with this beautiful island paradise the moment she'd arrived.

It was an exquisite place, calm, peaceful and full of exotic wonders. A world away from the horrors of war afflicting the land of her birth. England was a beautiful country in its own right and it had broken her heart to see its splendor marred by war. With a sigh she reversed her course and headed back towards her house.

When she arrived, she found her house-mate already up and the smell of fresh coffee permeated the small bungalow. She made her way through the house to the kitchen. "Morning." she drawled as she entered.

Katie Hitchcock turned and smiled. The young woman, a navy nurse, worked at the same hospital as Kristin. They'd met on her first day and had become fast friends.

"Morning… The hospital called. They need you as soon as you can get there."

"Okay. Did you want to ride in with me?"

"Oh that's all right." the young woman smiled. "Ben is picking me up."

Kristin nodded and turned away.

"Kristin? Some of us are going out to the Officers' Club tonight. Why don't you come with us?"

"Katherine, I'm a civilian."

"That's all right, you'd be my guest. Come on it will be fun and you never know, you just might meet some hunky Captain," she ended with a wink.

"That's all I need." Kristin quipped dryly.

"Please."

"Oh, all right." she relented.

"Wonderful. Sally will pick us up at 8:00."

"I'll be ready." Kristin smiled as she turned away.

The Officers' Club was busy when they arrived but Katie was quickly able to find them a table.

After being there for a little more than an hour, Kristin was ready to go home. She had never been one to frequent pubs and felt a little out of place. Deciding to have one last drink she moved through the sea of bodies to the bar.

"What can I get you ma'am?" the bartender asked politely.

"A white wine please."

The bartender nodded and moved away, returning moments later. As she reached into the handbag to retrieve the money to pay for her drink a man slipped into the space beside her.

"Let me get that for you, Little Lady." He offered with a slow Texas drawl and an equally slow smile.

Kristin glanced up at the young man in a Navy Lieutenant's uniform. "No thank you. I've got it." she said and slipped the money to the bartender.

"Well then would you do the honor of having a dance with me?"

"Thank you for the offer, but no." Kristin declined politely and started to move away.

The Lieutenant's hand shot out to grasp her arm. "I'd really like to get to know you better." he persisted, the slight slur to his voice telling Kristin he was well on his way to being drunk.

"And I said no. Now kindly remove your hand."

"Wassa matter, doncha like men?" he sneered, tightening his grip.

"I like men just fine, thank you. It's you I don't like."

"You got a smart mouth for a bitch! I bet you can do more with that mouth than just back talk."

"Probably, but you'll never find out." Kristin said cooly. "Now let me go!"

"You heard the Lady, Lieutenant!" a voice boomed suddenly from behind Kristin. "Release her now or I'll see you in the brig!"

The Lieutenant looked at the man behind her and the color drained from his face.

"Sir, yes Captain, sir!" he barked as he released Kristin and snapped to attention.

"I think you've had more than enough for one night don't you Lieutenant?" the Captain continued as he moved around Kristin to stare down the young man.

"Yes Sir."

"Then I suggest you head back to your berth Sailor or we'll be speaking again. Is that clear!?"

"Yes Sir."

"Dismissed…"

The Lieutenant saluted sharply then spun on his heel and slunk away. Once he was gone the Captain turned to face Kristin.

As their gazes met, Kristin noticed how intensely blue his eyes were and she felt the stirrings of something she hadn't felt for a very long time.

"I'm sorry he bothered you Miss."

"It's Doctor, actually. Doctor Kristin Westphalen."

"It's a pleasure, Doctor." he smiled. "I'm Captain Nathan Bridger, assigned to the Rear Admiral's staff. Now, can I see you to your table?"

"Actually, I've had enough 'fun' for one night, I think I'll just go home." she smiled and returned her untouched wine to the bartop.

"Then would you do me the honor of letting me see you home?"

"It's not necessary."

"Perhaps not but it would be my pleasure."

"Oh very well then, just give me a moment." she said and when he nodded she made her way back to the table where Katie and the others sat.

"Are you all right?" Katie asked with concern.

"I'm fine but I'm going to go home now."

"I'll go with you."

"Don't be silly. Stay and have fun. Besides, the Captain has offered to see me home." Kristin supplied.

Katie looked over to see Nathan still standing at the bar. She turned back to Kristin with a grin. "See…Told you, you'd meet a hunky Captain. Have fun."

"Katherine, he's just walking me home."

"If you say so." Katie grinned. "See you tomorrow."

Kristin shook her head with a smile as she headed back to where Nathan waited.

"Ready?" he asked and when she nodded he rested a hand gently in the small of her back and led her outside.

"My car is just over here." Nathan indicated with a pointed finger.

"Would you mind if we walked? I don't live far and it's a lovely night."

"All right," Nathan smiled and fell into step beside her.

"So tell me," Nathan asked as they walked. "What made you decide to be a doctor?"

"My father... he was a doctor and my earliest memories are of him taking me to the hospital every day and letting me watch while he worked. From that moment on I was hooked. When I was old enough I entered Cambridge University. I was the only woman in a class of 40."

"Wow. I bet that was tough."

"Oh yes. They didn't make it easy that's for sure but I was determined not to let anyone stop me."

"So what did you do after graduation?"

"Worked with my father at the hospital. Things were wonderful until the war and that was like a baptism of fire. The hospitals were inundated with civilian wounded from the air raids. God it was horrible, especially after the Blitz in 1940. It was an endless non-stop stream of dirt, blood, death." she said in an almost haunted whisper.

"What made you leave England and come here?"

"Besides not being able to see my beautiful country destroyed before my eyes.... My brother James was a pilot in the RAF. Nine months ago he was home on leave and got caught in one of the raids…" her voice trailed off and Nathan could hear the slight catch in it as she continued a moment later. "I was on duty when he was brought in to the hospital. My brother died while I was trying to save his life."

"God, I'm so sorry." Nathan said softly.

"And as if that wasn't enough," her voice faltered for a moment. "My daughter Cynthia worked in Coventry... she was there when the Germans bombed it. She was killed instantly. After that… well I just couldn't do it anymore. One of my father's friends lives here on Oahu and offered me a position. I jumped at the chance. I've been here for 6 months now and don't regret my decision at all. If I never see another wounded soldier again it will be too soon," Kristin finished with a sigh. "God, I must sound terribly maudlin."

"Not at all," Nathan smiled.

"You're not just saying that to be a gentleman, are you?"

"Never…"

Kristin gave him a smile then, realizing she was home, turned to face him. "Well, this is my place."

"Can I see you to the door?"

"All right."

They moved up the walk and Kristin opened the door, reaching inside to turn on the entry hall light.

"Well, Captain, thank you for all your help."

"It was my pleasure." he began. "I hope this doesn't sound too forward, but I'd like to see you again."

"I'd like that." Kristin smiled.

"Tomorrow for lunch?"

"I'm not sure when I can get away but call for me at the hospital and I'll try."

"All right." he smiled "I'll say goodnight then."

"Good night." Kristin replied with a smile, watching as he turned and strode back up the walk. He paused at the end, turning back to give her a parting smile and a wave. She returned the gestures, remaining on the porch until he was out of sight.

When he was gone, she headed inside and closed the door behind her. As she prepared for bed her thoughts lingered on Nathan and as she drifted off to sleep she knew that she could very easily come to love him.

They met for lunch the next day, and the next and the next and from that time forward they were nearly inseparable.

End Notes:

seaQuest and all its characters belong to Amblin Entertainment. I am only borrowing these characters for awhile and will return them undamaged when I am done. This is a work of amateur fan fiction and no infringement on the owner's copyright is meant.

Chapter 2 by Arla

Friday, November 14, 1941

Kristin hummed to herself as she finished getting ready. Nathan was taking her out for dinner and dancing. Her hair and makeup done, she adjusted her stockings and garters before pulling on her slip then crossed to the closet to choose a dress.

She was still deciding moments later when there was a knock on her door. "Kris?" Katie's voice sounded from outside.

"Come in."

"Can I borrow your blue silk scarf?" the young woman asked when she'd stepped into the room.

"Sure. Top left-hand drawer of the bureau."

"Are you going out with Captain Bridger again?"

"Yes." Kristin replied absently as she continued to scan her closet.

"You like him, don't you?" Katie smiled

"What makes you say that?"

"Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that you only met him 2 weeks ago and have seen him nearly every day since."

"All right." The older woman smiled. "I do like him, very much and I might even….." her voice trailed off as she turned back to the closet.

"Might even what? Love him?"

"Yes" Kristin replied quietly.

"Have you told him?"

"No, not yet"

"And why not?"

"Because…. Because I don't know how he feels about me."

"Kris, that man is crazy about you. I've seen it in his eyes."

"Perhaps."

"Why do I hear a 'but' in there?"

"But…. He lost his wife and son in a car accident a year ago and maybe it's too soon."

"And maybe you're afraid."

"Of what?"

"Of getting hurt. Of letting someone get that close again."

"Maybe."

"Have you slept with him?"

"KATHERINE!"

Katie chuckled. "I'll take that as a no."

Kristin ignored her comment and held up two dresses. "Which one?"

"That depends."

"On what?"

"On how you want the evening to end. If you want a… goodbye kiss at the door then go with the blue one. But if you want hot steamy, sweaty passionate sex, then I'd wear the red."

Kristin turned back to the closet and hung the blue dress back up.

"Well then, I guess I'll find someplace else to stay tonight." Katie chuckled.

"You don't have to."

"Of course I do. You'll definitely need the house to yourself tonight. So if you feel the need to scream… then by all means do." Katie winked.

"KATHERINE!" Kristin gasped, scandalized. Katie merely chuckled and headed for the door.

"Have fun." She called and waved over her shoulder. As the door closed behind her, Kristin couldn't help but smile. She crossed to the bed and laid the dress across it. Since it was a halter style, she changed her full slip for a half one and removed her bra.

Kristin slipped the dress on, pulled up the side zipper and tied the halter straps around her neck. After slipping her feet into a pair of red heels she moved to the full length cheval mirror in the corner of the bedroom to check her appearance.

Pleased with what she saw, Kristin nodded, then picked up her shawl and handbag from the chair beside the mirror. She had just turned out the bedroom light when there was a knock at the door. With a smile she moved down the hall to the door. Nathan stood on the porch with a bouquet of roses in his hands.

"Hello," she drawled.

"Kristin, wow, you look gorgeous."

"Thank you. Are those for me?"

Nathan grinned and with a nod presented the flowers to her. She took them and drew the bouquet to her nose to inhale the blooms.

"Oh they're lovely, thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Just let me put them in water and then we can go."

Nathan followed her inside to the kitchen leaning up against the door frame and watching as she took a vase down from the cupboard, filled it with water then took the roses from their paper wrapping and arranged them. After setting the flowers in the middle of the table she turned to Nathan.

"Ready?" He smiled.

"Yes." She replied and returned his smile as she moved toward him. Slipping her arm around her waist he led her out of the house.

It was a lovely night; the air was warm and fragrant. They ate dinner in a quiet little beach front restaurant and then they went to a dance hall.

It was after midnight when they returned to Kristin's house. When they reached her door she turned to him. "Thank you, it was a lovely evening."

"It was my pleasure." He smiled, squeezing her hand affectionately.

"Would you like to come in? I could put on some coffee."

"Well, I wouldn't want to disturb your room mate."

"Katherine is staying with friends tonight."

"Well then, I'd love to."

"Good."

Sometime later they sat together on the sofa talking over coffee.

"Well it's late and I should probably be going." Nathan said as he set his coffee cup on the table.

"No please don't go. Stay with me."

"Kris." He said quietly.

"Please stay. Stay and make love to me." She said softly.

When he didn't reply immediately she frowned and got up, turning her back to him. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. Maybe it would be better if you did leave."

Nathan stood and moved behind her. He gently rested his hands on her bare shoulders and felt her tense slightly at his touch.

"No, I'm sorry." He told her as he turned her to face him. "I should have said something… I was just surprised."

"I've always been too forward. It's one of my worst faults."

"I don't think so… your forwardness is one of the things I love about you." He told her softly.

"Really? You love me?" she asked, uncertainty tainting her voice.

"More than I ever thought I could again."

"I love you too."

Reaching out, Nathan cupped her face in his palms and gently drew her mouth to his. His lips brushed lightly over hers, gently teasing. Kristin leaned into his kiss, the action bringing her body flush against his, and she released a soft moan as his tongue pressed for entry.

As his kiss deepened, their tongues tangling together, desire ran like quicksilver through her veins and Kristin moaned at the sensations he was evoking within her and feeling the expectant ridge of his erection pressing into her belly she knew he was experiencing the same desire as she.

She pulled back from his embrace and at the questioning frown on his face she gave him a smile and took his hand in hers. Without a word she led him down the hall to her bedroom and shut the door.

Chapter 3 by Arla

Monday, December 1, 1941

Kristin awoke slowly, uncurling and stretching as the sun's warmth shone through the open window. She opened her eyes and smiled as a sun-darkened hand settled warmly on her hip, before the arm curled around her waist and pulled her back against a solid bare chest.

"Morning." Nathan's voice rumbled in her ear.

"Mmm… morning." She replied and tilted her head back so she could look at him. They shared a brief passionate kiss.

"What time is it?" Nathan murmured as he nuzzled the curve of her neck and shoulder.

"Mmm, early... just after 6."

"Damn. I've got to be at the base in an hour." He sighed, burying his face in her hair. After a moment he asked. "Do you have to be at the hospital?"

"Not until this afternoon. I think I might head into Honolulu and do some shopping."

"Mmm and what does Honolulu have the Pearl City can't offer?" he asked curiously.

Kristin smiled as she rolled to face him. "I need a new dress for the dance Saturday night and they have the best dress shops. And since I'm going to be on the arm of the most handsome sailor there I need to stand out."

"Baby, you could show up wearing a burlap sack and you'd still stand out." He smiled as he dropped a kiss to her bare shoulder. "You're an extremely attractive woman and you look beautiful in everything you wear."

She gave him a dubious look. "Only in your eyes."

"Not just in my eyes. You really have no idea how many men watch you when you walk into a room?"

"Well yours are the only eyes that count." She replied evading his question as she leaned down and brushed his lips lightly with her own.

"Well I'd better get going if I'm going to catch the bus into the city."

"What's wrong with your car?"

"Katherine's is in the shop so I told her she could use mine until it's ready."

"Well, why don't you take mine?"

"Oh I couldn't do that."

"Kris, we're sleeping together, I think it's perfectly proper for you to use my car."

Kristin giggled. "It's not that. Are you not going to need it yourself?"

"Not really. You can drive me to the base and I'll pick it up at the hospital when I'm done. If I need to go anywhere before then, I can get a staff car."

"You're sure?"

"Absolutely."

"All right then." She replied then her smiled grew sensual. "Now get over here and say good morning properly."

"Yes Ma'am." He drawled and pulled her close for a passionate kiss.

They broke apart when there was a knock on the bedroom door. "Kristin?"

"Yes Katherine?"

"Coffee's on and I was wondering if you and Nathan would care for some breakfast?"

"Give us a few minutes." Kristin called back then turned to her lover. "Well, m'love I guess we should join her."

"Damn, just when I was about to get lucky." He joked playfully. Kristin laughed and drew a long manicured nail across his lips.

"Well be a good boy today and you will tonight."

"Promise?"

"Mmm, definitely." She finished and pressed a lingering kiss to his lips.

"Keep that up babe and we'll be here all day."

With a playful chuckle she gave him one last kiss before throwing back the covers and sliding from bed.

Kristin pulled the car up to the entrance to the base rolling down the window as the guard stationed at the gate approached.

"Ma'am" he nodded and then saw Nathan in the passenger seat. "Good Morning, Sir."

"Ensign," Nathan nodded. "Dr. Westphalen will be accompanying me inside. Will you see she's passed through without incident from now on? I'll see to getting her the proper clearances."

"Aye, sir."

"Thank you." Nathan replied.

The Ensign, nodded to the guard on the other side of the gate and Kristin waited as it was opened before driving through. She pulled up to the front entrance where Nathan's office was and stopped turning towards him and flashed him a smile.

"Dinner tonight?" he questioned.

"Absolutely. But it will have to be a late one. I'm working until 9."

"I'll see you then." He told her then leaned across the seat to brush a kiss to her lips. "Love you." He added as he pulled back.

"I love you too." She smiled then watched as he opened the door and got out of the car. He leaned back in to grab his briefcase from the seat then gave her a wink as he closed the door again.

She watched with a smile as he walked across the street and up the stairs to the door. He paused then, turning back to give her a wave. She reciprocated and continued to watch until he'd disappeared inside. With a smile she turned the car around and headed off the base, waving to the young Ensign at the gate as she drove through.

Saturday, December 6, 1941

Kristin smiled as she took one last look in the mirror, pleased with the dress she'd chosen for tonight. It was simple, yes, but elegant and suited her perfectly. She hoped that Nathan would feel the same. After slipping her feet into a pair of high-heeled sandals she grabbed her shawl and handbag and left her room.

Katie was sitting on the sofa, looking out of the window.

"Ben late?" Kristin asked with a slightly amused smile.

"Yes," Katie sighed and turned to face her. "Wow." She stated with an admiring smile. "That dress is fabulous."

"Thank you. I just hope Nathan likes it."

"Oh there's no doubt about that. Ah speak of the devil…" she added as she saw the man in question come up the walk. Seconds later there was a knock on the door.

Kristin smiled as she went to open it and let him in.

"Wow, you look …stunning." He breathed.

"Thank you." She replied with a delighted laugh. "And I could say the same to you." She added, eyeing his dress whites. "I think they should insist you wear those all the time."

"My cleaning bill would be astronomical." He teased and Kristin laughed. "Before I forget…" he said and held out a small square florist's box.

She took it with a smile and opened the lid, revealing a beautiful wrist corsage.

"Oh it's lovely." She breathed as she slipped it on then leaned forward to brush a kiss across his cheek. "Thank you."

"You're most welcome." He smiled. "Ready?"

"Yes." She answered and he took the shawl from her hands, draping it across her bare shoulders before extending his arm. She slipped her arm through his.

"See you at the dance." She called to Katie as they left the bungalow.

The soft strains of Glen Miller's "Moonlight Serenade" filled the ballroom and Nathan and Kristin swayed in each other's arms, almost oblivious to those around them. As the song trailed off, Nathan pulled back to look down into her eyes.

"Want to get out of here?"

"Yes."

Minutes later they stepped outside into the warm night air. "Where would you like to go?"

"Mmm I'd like to go for a drive… and then I'd like to go down to the beach and make love with you under the stars."

"Your wish is my command m'love." He replied and brought her hand up to his lips, brushing a kiss across the back.

Nathan pulled the car off to the side of the road and parked. Kristin removed her sandals, leaving them on the floor on the passenger side before getting out and moving down to the beach. Nathan smiled as he watched her, then got out and took two blankets from the back seat before following her.

His eyes followed her as she moved down to the ocean and wet her feet.

As he spread one blanket on the sand, Nathan kept his gaze trained on her. Bathed in moonlight she looked like some ethereal creature, one that would disappear at the first kiss of sunlight, but then she turned and he knew she was smiling as she made her way back to him.

She sat down on the blanket laying back, her eyes following his every move as he sat beside her and pulled off his shoes and socks. Nathan turned to her. "Before we continue, I have something for you."

Kristin sat up, curiosity lighting her face as he reached into the pocket of his jacket and pulled something out. Her hand flew to her mouth when she recognized a small velvet jeweler's box. He opened the lid to reveal the diamond ring nestled inside. "Kristin." he began softly "I never thought I'd be doing this again. I never thought I'd ever find someone with whom I wanted to share my life. After I lost my wife and son... well I just never thought I would ever fall in love again… but you proved me wrong. I do love you, more than I ever thought I could. Would you do me the honor of consenting to be my wife? Will you share your life with me?" he finished softly.

He saw the tears in her eyes as she nodded. "Yes," she breathed softly. "Oh yes."

Nathan smiled and took the ring out of the box, slipping it on her finger. "Perfect." He said softly when he saw that the ring did indeed fit perfectly on her finger.

"I love you so much. Now how about we celebrate?"

Nathan chuckled then took her into his arms, laying them both back down on the blanket. Smiling down into her eyes he said. "You know how decadent this is… making love in the open where anyone could see."

"It's two o'clock in the morning and there isn't anyone around." She laughed, threading her fingers through his hair.

"Maybe, but I brought this, just in case." He replied and reached for the second blanket. He covered them and then turned back to her, pulling her into a tight embrace.

"Now you mentioned something about making love under the stars."

"Mmm, I did indeed." she purred softly and pulled him closer. "Take me to the stars m'love."

Sunday December 7, 1941

"What time do you think it is?"

"I don't know. A little after seven, I'd guess judging by the sun's position." Nathan replied, brushing his lips across her temple. "We should probably get dressed."

"Probably," She sighed.

"How about I take you out for breakfast?"

"Mmm how about we get dressed, go back to the house, I make you breakfast and then we can spend the rest of the day in bed." She suggested.

"You have a deal, Doctor." He chuckled and they shared a tender kiss before moving away from each other.

They dressed quickly and as Nathan pulled his watch from his trousers pocket and put it on he quickly glanced at the time. "It's almost 8." He stated and then gathered up the blankets, shaking the sand from them. He took Kristin's arm and walked with her back to the car.

He tossed the blankets on the floor of the back seat and as he closed the door Kristin slipped her arm around his waist.

"So what would you like for breakfast?" she asked. He was about to answer when he frowned.

"What is it?"

"That sounds like planes. It's too early for flybys." He muttered and then he heard the unmistakable sound of explosions.

"Oh dear God," He muttered and gently pushed Kristin out of the way before opening the driver's door and turning on the radio.

The announcer's voice held a hint of panic and disbelief. "The Japanese have just bombed Pearl Harbor. I repeat the Japanese are bombing Pearl Harbor….."

"I have to get in." he said as he slid behind the wheel.

Chapter 4 by Arla

The car screeched to a halt and Nathan fairly jumped out. Kristin slid across into the driver's seat.

"I don't know when I can get word to you." He told her "Where will you be?"

"At the hospital… they're going to need me."

"All right but you stay there… don't leave until I come for you or I send someone for you."

She nodded. "Nathan, please be careful. Come back to me." She said, her lip trembling as she tried to hold back her tears.

"Don't worry Baby, I'll be back." He vowed and kissed her fiercely before stepping back and running away.

The dead and wounded just kept coming in a steady non-stop stream of pain and blood. It was a sight of horror, one she had prayed never to go through ever again. The air was filled with the acrid scent of smoke, fire and gun powder and the constant sound of far off explosions.

Kristin tried to keep her mind focused on the injured men, hoping and praying that Nathan was alive and well but she couldn't dwell on that. If she did she wouldn't be able to continue.

She tried to hold back her tears as another young man died. She gently pulled his hand from hers, closed his eyes and pulled the blood stained sheet up over him. As she turned away she saw a tearful Katie walking towards her. "What? Oh god, Nathan?" she asked fearfully.

"I haven't heard anything." the younger woman reassured her.

"Then what is it?"

"The Arizona is gone… she went under with all her crew aboard. They didn't stand a chance."

"Oh God..."

"We've lost the Okalahoma, the Utah, the California and the West Virginia. Not only that, Hickam field is gone. All of the planes were destroyed while still on the ground."

"The world has gone totally insane." Kristin murmured as she closed her eyes, burying her face in her hands.

"Are you all right?"

"I don't think I'll ever be all right again. You know… I came here and thought I could forget about the horrors affecting my home. It was so peaceful. We've all lived in blissful innocence… thinking the war wouldn't touch us here. Oh how very wrong we were. That innocence has just been blown away and we'll never be the same again. But as long as I don't lose Nathan, as long as he's safe... I can face all these horrors… I can survive. The fates wouldn't be so cruel as to make me face that kind of loss yet again… would they?" she questioned the young woman.

"I don't know." Katie replied tearfully.

"I have to find him. I have to know he's all right."

"Kristin you can't go to the base, it's too dangerous… too chaotic."

"I don't care. I have to know."

"Look, the Headquarters are all being moved to the IoLani Palace. Check for him there."

Kristin parked the car in front of the Iolani Palace. Getting out she ran up the stairs heading for the door. As she reached it an M.P. moved to block her path.

"I'm sorry ma'am but you'll have to return to your car."

"Please, I have to get inside. I'm looking for someone. Look, I'm a doctor." she pulled out her ID and showed it to him. "I have to find him."

"Doctor, I'm sorry but I can't let you inside… military personnel only."

"Then could you please just check… tell him I'm here… please." She pled softly.

"All right I'll take your message inside, but that's all I can do."

"Thank you."

"Who are you looking for?"

"Captain Nathan Bridger… he's the Rear Admiral's XO."

The M.P nodded and turned away heading inside. Moments after he had disappeared another M.P came out and took up a place guarding the front entrance.

Kristin paced back and forth on the sidewalk waiting for the guard to reappear. Several minutes later he did and she ran back up the stairs to him. Her hopes plunged when she saw the frown on his face.

"I'm sorry ma'am. I asked around but no one has seen Captain Bridger. I can't give you any news. I'm sorry."

"No one knows where he is? Whether he's alive or dead?"

"I'm afraid not… but no news is good news." The guard stated, trying to cheer her up.

"Thank you." She said softly and turned from him. Slowly she moved back to the car and slid behind the wheel.

She was operating on automatic as she drove heading towards her house. Several minutes later she parked in front and got out.

It wasn't until she was safely inside her bedroom that she allowed her tightly-reigned emotions loose. Throwing herself on the bed she curled up and cried.

Lord he was tired. More tired than he could ever remember being. He rubbed his eyes yet again.

"Why don't you go home and get some sleep. There's nothing more we can do here tonight."

Nathan looked up and acknowledged the Admiral's statement with a nod and a "Thank you, Sir."

"Don't mention it. Get some rest we're going to have our hands full tomorrow."

"Yes Sir."

Nathan got up from the desk and left the room that was their temporary headquarters. As he reached the foyer and approached the doors an M.P. was just entering. Nathan stepped to one side to allow the man to pass him. When the young man moved by he glanced down at the name badge on Nathan's chest. He stopped, turning to face him.

"Captain Bridger?"

"Yes."

"Sir, there was a lady looking for you."

"How long ago?"

"About 4 hours, sir. When I told her I couldn't find you and didn't have any news about you she got very upset."

Nathan frowned at this. "Thank you. I need a car. Could you see to it please?"

"Yes sir. If you give me a moment I'll take you myself."

"Thank you."

"That's it right there." Nathan told the M.P and pointed.

The young man nodded and pulled over to the curb in front of Kristin's house.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, Sir. Good night."

"Night."

Nathan moved up the walk to the front door and as he approached the door opened. Katie stepped out onto the porch.

"Oh thank God you're all right."

"Where's Kristin?" he asked anxiously

At Katie's frown, panic gripped him. "Is she…."

"She's fine." The young woman reassured him "At least physically. She's been in her room for hours. I couldn't even get her to eat anything. I could hear her crying through the door."

Nathan swallowed the lump in his throat. "Thanks Katie." He said softly as he moved past her and into the house. As he headed toward Kristin's room, he paused outside the bathroom. He really wanted to go to her right away but he was filthy. He didn't think he would ever be able to get his whites clean again and he smelled of smoke and fuel. Knowing he really should shower first before going to her, he disappeared inside.

Clad only in his robe, Nathan exited some thirty minutes later and continued his trek to Kristin's room. Reaching out he tested the doorknob and after finding it unlocked he slipped quietly into the room

It was dark inside, the pale moonlight filtering through the curtains his only illumination. Seeing the huddled form beneath the covers nearly broke his heart. Slipping off his robe, he tossed in on the chair to the side of the door and crossed quietly to the bed.

Pulling back the covers he slipped in beside her. As he slid across the bed and leaned over her, he could see that she was asleep, the tears still visible on her cheeks attesting to her distress.

"I'm sorry baby." He whispered as he gently kissed the salty drops from her cheek then spooned his body up behind her, pulling her back against him.

She didn't wake at the action and in her sleep instinctively snuggled back against him. Brushing a kiss to her temple, Nathan closed his eyes and he fell into an exhausted sleep.

Even before she came fully awake, Kristin became aware that there was something different and it took a moment for her sleep fogged brain to realize what it was. There was someone in bed with her and that someone was sleeping so close she could feel their breath on her cheek.

Although she knew that it could be no one else but Nathan, she didn't want to turn around to confirm it and have it not be true but the whispered voice in her ear caused all her fears to melt away.

"I promised I'd be back... and I always keep my promises."

She couldn't hold back her tears as she rolled to face him, "Oh my God, I was so afraid I'd lost you. When I heard the terrible news about the fleet… I couldn't find anyone who knew if you were alive or dead and I was terrified of finding out that you were dead that this damned war had claimed another person I loved…"

He smiled softly at her rambling and pressed gentle fingers to her lips to stop her.

"I know and I'm sorry I couldn't get word to you earlier. Things were a little crazy."

"That's an understatement." Kristin replied. "And I'm sorry for getting hysterical it's just…."

"I know baby. You don't have to apologize. You've lost far too much to this war already. It's only natural that you'd be afraid to lose more. And since we're on the subject…" Nathan paused and pulled her closer. "It's almost certain that with this attack President Roosevelt will declare war." He saw her face pale and tenderly brushed the back of his hand down her cheek. "I don't know in what capacity I will be called to serve in the war to come. They may keep me on a desk here but they may also give me a command in the fleet."

"And if they do?"

"Then it's my honor bound duty to accept. I know you don't want to hear that Kris, but it's something that I have to do."

"I know." She agreed softly. "And you wouldn't be the man I fell in love with if you didn't. That doesn't mean I'll stop being afraid for you - in fact I'll probably be more afraid but I'll support you."

"Thank you baby, I can't promise you that nothing will ever happen to me but I can promise that I will fight to my last breath to make it home to you."

"Then that will have to be enough." She whispered and kissed him tenderly. "I love you so very much… you are my heart and my soul." She told him tearfully.

"And you are my anchor, my lighthouse, my safe harbour --- and I love you with all that I am and all that I will ever be." He whispered then with his fingers tangled in the silk of her hair, drew her mouth to his and kissed her hungrily.

Desire flared to life and there was no more time for words.

Chapter 5 by Arla

Monday December 8, 1941

Nathan and Kristin sat curled up together on the swing that sat at the far end of the lanai. The windows were open and the warm breeze ruffled the curtains… the wind bringing with it the smell of smoke and burning fuel. From inside the house the radio played. The music was abruptly cut off to be replaced by the announcer reporting that President Roosevelt would be addressing the nation.

Several minutes later the address began.

"Yesterday, Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with the government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleagues delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. Very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday, the Japanese government also launched an attack against Malaya.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night, the Japanese attacked Wake Island.

This morning, the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As commander in chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounding determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, Dec. 7, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire."

As Roosevelt concluded his speech and the station resumed its regular programming Nathan pulled Kristin onto his lap and she buried her face in the crook of his neck and shoulder.

"So it begins." He whispered against her hair and felt the shiver that ran through her body. "Marry me."

"I've already said yes." She replied, tilting her head back so she could meet his eyes.

"No I mean marry me now before I'm called away… tomorrow or the next day. Unless you would rather wait until we can have a large church wedding."

"Now I don't want to wait either. A small intimate wedding will be fine. In fact I'd like nothing better than to marry you down on the beach at sunset with only a chaplain, Benjamin and Katherine and your friends the Noyces. That would be perfect."

"Then that's what you shall have." He smiled and leaned forward to kiss her.

Tuesday, December 9, 1941

Nathan's orders had come through the previous evening. He had been ordered to take command of a newly commissioned submarine, the USS Agamemnon. He was supposed to report at 6 pm on the 9th but when he had explained that he was to be married on the very same day his superiors had given him an additional 24 hours.

The ceremony was a quiet affair attended only by Katie - acting as Kristin's maid of honor, Ben and Bill and Janet Noyce with Bill standing in as best man. The base chaplain was more than happy to officiate in this celebration of life and love after having to deal with all the death of the last day.

Afterwards they all had dinner together in Honolulu and then the newly married couple slipped away to spend their last few hours together.

The house was dark and quiet. Shafts of moonlight shone in through the bedroom window and cast its silvery glow over the couple on the bed. Their bodies were intimately entwined, the sheet that had covered them lay down at the foot of the bed.

While Nathan slept soundly beside her, Kristin found that she couldn't sleep and in all honesty she had no real desire to.  A few precious hours remained before Nathan would be forced to leave her and she wanted to savor every second of the time that remained.

She looked down at the hand that rested on his chest and the gold wedding band he had slipped on her finger hours earlier. A soft smile graced her lips at the sight and the knowledge that no matter what happened… now they truly were part of one another.

Nathan shifted beside her. "Can't sleep?" he questioned, lips brushing her hair.

"Don't really want to." She replied nuzzling against him, breathing in his scent.

He responded by wrapping his arms more tightly around her and pulling her more closely against him. "You should sleep."

"There'll be plenty of time for that later. Right now I just don't want to waste the few hours we have left together on sleep."

"I know." He replied and kissed her forehead.

"Nathan?"

"Hmm?"

"There's something we should discuss before you leave."

"And what's that?"

"Children. We've never talked about whether that's something we both want."

"Why? Are you pregnant?" he questioned softly, reaching down to cup her face and draw her eyes to his.

"I'm not sure… I think so and with all the insanity in the world and you being called away…."

"Do you want to get rid of it if you are?"

"No not that… never that. I just have concerns about bringing a child into this world during a war when there's every possibility you might not come home to me - and yet if, God forbid that should ever happen then having your child, having a part of you would be the only thing that would make me want to go on… oh God I don't know what I'm saying…" she finished and dropped her head to his chest.

"Kris?" he said quietly and rolled onto his side, looking down at her. "Honey, I understand what you're saying and like I said before I can't promise you that I won't die. Death is a part of war and we can't escape that fact as much as we might want to. As for having a child while there's a war on, well I too have some of the same concerns but like you, if the worst should happen and I don't come back I'll be comforted to know that you won't be alone." He finished and tenderly brushed back her hair. "So what do you say we take each moment as it comes and whatever happens… happens?"

Kristin nodded, smiling up at him then her eyes followed his hand as it slid down to rest against her flat stomach, fingers gently caressing the warm skin. His eyes lifted to meet hers. "And to answer your question - yes, I'd love to have children with you."

"Good," she replied and threaded her fingers through his hair. "Then let's have no more talk and certainly no more sleep…" she smiled "and make sure that by the time we say goodbye that I'm carrying your child."

"I love you so much." He whispered then kissed her passionately.

They made love again and again until the first rays of sunlight peeked through the curtains. Then after sharing a light breakfast they showered together, making love one final time on the bathroom rug.

They dressed in silence --- Kristin watching his every move as he pulled on his uniform and began packing his bag --- wanting to commit to memory as much minutiae about him as she could. Pulling her gaze away she crossed to her bureau and opened the top drawer. From beneath her scarves she pulled out a photograph.

Moving to his side she held it out. "I'll send you a copy of our wedding photo just as soon as I get them back from the photographer but until then I thought you might want to have this."

Nathan took the picture from her and looked at it a soft smile creasing his features when he recognized it as one he'd taken himself with her camera. In it she was dressed in one of his favorite of her sundresses and was leaning against a palm tree. A flower was tucked behind one ear and she wore her hair loose about her shoulders --- and the smile she was giving him was one that would be forever burned into his memory.

"Thank you, Baby." he said quietly then leaned down to kiss her softly. He tucked the photo into his bag and then said. "I have one for you too."

Since all of his belongings had been moved over from his quarters on the base the day before the wedding, he crossed to a still unpacked box and opened it. He reached inside and pulled out a picture. "This was taken just after I was assigned here a year ago." He told her as he closed the distance between them and held it out. She took it from him and looked down at it. He was wearing his dress uniform and though he was smiling there was a hint of sadness in his eyes. Wordlessly she leaned forward and kissed him before moving to her dresser and setting the photo on the top.

Well." He said quietly as he closed his bag. "I guess we'd better get going."

"I guess we'd better." She added as she picked up her purse from the dresser top.

Nathan lifted his bag and slung it over his shoulder following her from the room.

The guard at the gate passed them through and Kristin drove straight to the dock where Nathan's sub was waiting. As she got out of the car her eyes turned to the harbor in front of her. She had yet to see up close, the devastation from the attack and she shuddered at seeing it now. The air was still heavy with the smells of smoke, and burning fuel and some of the structures still smouldered - the capsized and destroyed remains of battleships still visible.

She closed her eyes to the horror and composed herself before moving around the front of the car.

Lt. Jg. Timothy O'Neil and Lt. Miguel Ortiz stood on the top deck of the Agamemnon waiting for their new captain to arrive.

"So any word on what the old man is like?" Miguel asked.

"Nah, not really. The XO says he's worked with him before and that he's a pretty good Captain."

"Well I guess we'll find out."

"Yep, I guess so."

Looking down onto the dock they watched as a car drew near and then parked just before the gangway.

"Must be him now" Ortiz observed.

"Hey what are you looking at?" questioned one of their ship mates as he and another man came up on deck.

"The new captain just arrived." O'Neil offered in reply without turning around.

"And this is interesting, because?" the second man asked and O'Neil spun around to find the boat's XO

"Uhm… we're just curious, Commander."

"Understandable" the Commander agreed.

Nathan met Kristin around the front of the car. Reaching out he took one of her hands in his. "Try not to worry too much."

"You're going to war, asking me to do that would be like asking me not to love you… I can't do that." She told him softly as she idly played with his wedding band.

"All right, then promise me you'll take care of yourself… no burying yourself in your work."

"Only if you promise me the same."

"I'll try." He replied and then pulled her into his arms. She buried her face in the crook of his neck and shoulder. "Love you wife." He whispered into her hair.

She pulled back and met his ocean blue gaze. "Love you too, husband." She murmured, caressing his cheek with her hand.

With a bittersweet smile he pulled her lips to his for a passionate goodbye kiss.

The small group on the deck of the Agamemnon watched the unfolding scene below with growing interest.

"Damn." Ortiz whistled turning his eyes away from the passionate embrace.

"You can say that again," Tim agreed "Who'da thought."

The XO smiled "Go easy on him boys, he just got married yesterday."

"Yesterday?! Damn he's a better man than I am. If I had a wife that looked like that I certainly wouldn't leave her… especially just after getting married."

"Yes, well none of us have that choice now, do we?" the XO supplied. "All right guys enough gawking let's leave the Captain to his goodbye in private. He'll be on board in a few minutes. Get below and prepare to shove off."

"Aye sir." They all replied and climbed down the ladder into the sub.

Nathan and Kristin broke apart slowly and he looked down into her sable eyes, seeing the tears brimming just below the surface. "Never forget how much I love you and no matter what happens that will never change."

"And I love you too, more than I have words to tell you. Be careful and come back to me," she told him and gave him one last kiss then she took a step back from him. "You'd better go because if you stay any longer I'll lose my courage and won't let you go."

Nathan nodded. He looked at her one last time, eyes drinking in every detail and then he turned away. He found his XO waiting at the bottom of the gangway.

"Welcome, Sir." The commander saluted "I'm honored to be serving with you again."

"Thank you, Commander." Nathan replied and returned the gesture. "Are we ready to get underway?"

"Aye sir we were just waiting for you."

"Very good then let's get going."

"Aye Captain." The XO replied and as he turned he saw Kristin standing a few feet away. "Ma'am" he saluted her.

Kristin gave him a nod and moved closer stopping at the gangway and resting her hands on the railing.

"Commander?"

"Yes Ma'am?"

"I'd like you to do something for me."

"If I can Ma'am."

"Promise me…." She began, her voice catching a little as her eyes moved from the commander to lock once more with Nathan's "Promise me you'll take care of my husband --- watch out for him for me."

"I'll do my best ma'am."

"Thank you."

"My pleasure, Mrs. Bridger." He added saluting her one last time before turning and striding back up the gangway.

Nathan reached out and took her hand from the railing and squeezed it. When he would have released it she refused to let go and held his tightly as he moved up the gangway following beside him and it was only when she was physically prevented, by the edge of the dock and the height of the gangway, from going any further that she allowed her fingers to slip from his. She kept her eyes on him as he moved to the top and paused there. He turned back to look at her tossing her a wink and blowing her a kiss. She returned the latter gesture gave him a wave and her eyes followed him until he moved out of sight.

Moments later a loud metal clang told her the top hatch had been closed and sealed.

Kristin stood on the same spot watching as the sub finally moved out of its berth and was still there long after it had disappeared from sight. Then she turned quietly and moved back to the car and what remained of her life. Instead of days and nights filled with joy and passion and wonder she now faced long lonely empty nights and endless days spent waiting for word. Every waking moment of her life, while Nathan was away, would be spent worrying if fate had another cruel twist in store for her.

Fate in her life had most often been kind and had brought untold joy and pleasure and yet in a heartbeat it had been cruel, snipping those threads and bringing pain and heartache. Fate was always twisting one way and then another… always changing.

Such had been the moments of her life - she had faced pain and death only to be given joy and love and passion and wonderful beautiful moments. Moments that could at any time become bittersweet memories if fate decreed she should lose it all again.

The future ahead seemed dark and uncertain and yet there was still a ray of hope shining on that road ahead and while hope remained - anything was possible.

~*~*~*~*~

"The lights of Honolulu went dark Sunday night December 7, 1941. They were to stay dark for a thousand nights and in that time many others died and many lived. But among the living none was ever quite the same again."

~*~*~*~*~

Fin

This story archived at http://www.wickyarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=909