Word Challenge: toy, ice, ache, play, sauce by Friday Challenge
Categories: Scarecrow and Mrs. King Characters: Amanda King, Lee Stetson
Genres: Fluff
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 3753 Read: 50441 Published: 15/06/08 Updated: 15/06/08
Story Notes:
Instructions: You must use all the words somewhere in your story. You can use them in any order - you may even use them more than once. But you MUST use them all AT LEAST ONCE. Don't forget your submission can be any length - from one line to a full-length story - and it can be SMK, B5 or anything else as long as it has a link to either SMK or B5.

1. Chapter 1 - Sue by Friday Challenge

2. It's a Long Story - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

3. Chapter 3 - Patti by Friday Challenge

4. Sneak Attack - Jenn by Friday Challenge

5. Chapter 5 - Julie T by Friday Challenge

6. Home at Last - Sue by Friday Challenge

7. Life's Lesson - Anne by Friday Challenge

8. He Really Thought I was Cute - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge

9. Chapter 9 - Sue by Friday Challenge

10. Chapter 10 - Doron by Friday Challenge

Chapter 1 - Sue by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
This takes place in season three. Lee and Amanda are engaged and the family knows they are dating. I guess it would be A/U since this didn't happen in the show.
Lee re-injured his knee during his last case and finally had to have the damn thing operated on. The NEST surgeon ordered him off his leg for the next six weeks and then on desk duty for the next five months.

At least this time he wasn't alone. Amanda agreed to slip into her Bedside Bluebell persona and play nursemaid to him. Surprisingly enough, it was Dotty who convinced Lee to move into their home until he was back on his feet. At least the boys had some neat toys to play with. Like the remote control car he was currently shooting all over the living room.He steered it behind the couch and lost sight of it. He could hear the whirr of the small motor so he knew it was still running. Flipping the levers on the control pad, he turned the car around and steered it back towards him.

"Lee!" Dotty called. "You startled me with that thing!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Dotty. I didn't hear you come in."

"Oh, that's all right. Here, I brought you an ice pack for your knee." Very gently, she rested the cold pack on top of his knee. "Does it ache, much?"

"Thanks, that feels good. No, it doesn't hurt. It's just a little uncomfortable."

"Dinner'll be ready soon."

"It sure smells good." His stomach rumbled it's agreement.

"Amanda is making her famous spaghetti and meat sauce. Come on, I'll give you a hand getting settled in the dining room."

Dotty held his crutches steady and he hefted himself off the couch. He hated these things but he couldn't get around without them. At least, his doctor said he could walk on his own two feet now and he didn't have to hop everywhere.

The five of them sat down to eat. Plates were passed around and conversations ranged from the latest school assignments, and how much homework the boys had, to looking forward to the weekend to what they were going to watch on television, to as much of the office gossip Amanda could share in front of the family. It was a happy, noisy affair and Lee loved every minute of it.

Hopefully, one day soon, this would be an everyday occurrence for him.

End
It's a Long Story - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
It's a Long Story

August 3, 2002

3:00 PM

The family room resembled what could be called a disaster area-in Lee's opinion that was the understatement of the year. Spaghetti sauce was splattered on the sofa and the wall-the wall that also bore faint traces of several crayon drawings. Toys were strewn from one end of the floor to the other, including the crushed remnants of a plastic action-figure that Lee had accidentally stepped on as he came through the door. Arms crossed, Lee strode back and forth in front of the sofa and looked sternly at his daughter, who sat there on the sofa, her fingers twisting together as she looked up at him.

"So," he said. "Tell me exactly what happened."

Jenna's hair and clothes were also splattered with spaghetti sauce-on her forehead a small red mark was already beginning to form. "Where do you want me to start?" She said.

"Where do I want you to start?" Lee repeated.

"Why don't you start at the beginning sweetheart?" Amanda came in from the kitchen, handing Jenna an ice-pack for her head and taking a seat in the recliner opposite.

"Thanks Mom," Jenna said, pressing the pack against her forehead. "Well it all started with Harrison. I've babysat for him before and he's always been a little hyper, but this time it was worse. I think maybe he had too much sugar or something-even watching Rugrats didn't calm him down and he usually loves Rugrats."

Lee massaged his temple-he could already feel a dull throbbing ache in his head. "What then?" He said, fighting to keep his tone as patient as possible.

"I got out Jamie's old toys and some crayons and a coloring book," Jenna said. "I figured that maybe if he had something to play with he wouldn't act up. But Harrison just threw the toys around and instead of coloring in the book-"

"He decided to color the walls instead," Amanda said.

Jenna nodded. "I tried to stop him but he kicked me," she said. "I figured I would have time to clean it off before you guys came home. I was trying to do that when the doorbell rang. I answered it and-" her voice trailed off as she looked down at her feet.

This was the part that Lee had been waiting for. "Go on," he said. "You answered the door and who was there?"

Jenna sighed. "Paul Davidson," she said.

"And?" Lee said.

"I let him in," Jenna said.

"Something you know you're not supposed to do," Lee said. "Jenna you know the rules about company when we're not here."

"But Dad, Paul said that he could help me with Harrison," Jenna said. "He says he's got three little brothers of his own and two of them are pretty hyper."

Lee almost swore that he could feel his blood pressure rise. He took a deep breath and ran his hands through his hair, saying a silent prayer for strength. "It doesn't matter, Jenna," he managed to say. "Rules are not there for you to break them whenever you feel like it."

"Sweetheart tell us what happened next," Amanda said.

"Paul thought that maybe if Harrison had something to eat that would calm him down," Jenna said. "So I found a can of Chef Boyardee in the cabinets and we made him a bowl of ravioli. But it didn't work."

"It didn't?" Lee said.

"No, he threw it," Jenna said. "Tossed the ravioli all over the walls and then he threw the empty bowl right at my head. It really hurt too. And Paul was checking that I was okay when we started, I mean we were-" her cheeks were beginning to redden.

"Kissing," Lee said, remembering the scene that had greeted him as he and Amanda had walked in the door barely a half-hour ago. He had the feeling that the image of Jenna wrapped in that boy's arms and their lips locked together would stay with him for quite a while.

"Well it wasn't like we planned to kiss," Jenna said. "But he was being so nice and I guess it just sort of happened."

"Kisses don't just `happen', Jenna," Lee began, but Amanda interrupted him.

"Jenna I understand why you let Paul in," Amanda said. "I'm sorry that Harrison was impossible today. But your father's absolutely right-you shouldn't have broken our rules. You know you're not supposed to have company at the house when we're not here to supervise."

"I know," Jenna said. "I'm really sorry."

"Those rules are there to protect you," Lee said. "Not because we're being mean or unfair. Do you understand?"

"I understand," Jenna said, looking up at them. "Does this mean I'm in trouble?"

"You're grounded for one week," Amanda said, looking over at Lee, who nodded in silent agreement. "Which means that except for going places with us you have to stay home."

"And no phone privileges," Lee said. "Including your cell phone."

"But it's summer-I'll be bored to death," Jenna said.

"I'm sure you'll live," Amanda said. "Now I want you to go upstairs and wash and change, and then you're coming down here to help us clean up this mess."

"Okay," Jenna said as she stood. "I know one thing I'll never do
again."

"What's that?" Lee asked.

"Babysitting," Jenna said, shuddering slightly. "It's just way too much trouble." With that remark she turned and walked up the stairs, leaving Lee speechless.

The End
Chapter 3 - Patti by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Scarecrow and Mrs. King is the property of Warner Bros and Shoot the Moon Productions. This story is in answer to a challenge and for entertainment purposes only.
A weary Lee walked into his bedroom. He started to throw his suit jacket onto the bed, then decided against it. "Amanda's influence strikes again," Lee thought out loud. Looking into the mirror, Lee began to work on the knot of his favorite tie. It was a recent gift from Dotty and the boys. When he saw that the tie was stained, he grumbled and whipped it loose from his neck in order to examine it. He could never deny Amanda the opportunity of reaching across the table to share a forkful of her delicious lunch. It was one of the only ways she could provide a public display of affection for him. But he was so enamored with his wife's eyes, he wasn't paying attention to a spill. Now here it was hours later, and the SAUCE was encrusted on his tie. He tried to remember, 'Was it ICE that removed stains that had crusted? . . .No, that was for stains from sticky substances.'

Realizing he was crying over spilled milk, Lee opened his closet to utilize the new TOY that Amanda had bought him in her effort to keep him organized. He flipped a switch and the motorized tie rack came to a halt where some hooks were empty. Amanda had suggested he put the soiled ties here and she would know immediately upon looking, which ones to take to the cleaners.

Lee moved to the dresser where he removed some clothes to change into. His selections included comfortable attire should he ACHE after finishing the basketball game he agreed to PLAY with the boys tonight.

The End
Sneak Attack - Jenn by Friday Challenge
Sneak Attack

Amanda grabbed the sauce pan from the dish rack as she headed for the back door. Stepping carefully over one play toy after another, she stealthily looked for the source of the noise.

There she saw a figure crouching by the family room door. Bringing down the pan with all her might, she heard the person call out, "Amanda, stop, it's me!" just as she made contact.

"Lee, you nearly scared me to death! What are you doing back here? Come inside and let me get you some ice. I'm sure you'll have quite a head ache in the morning. Maybe that'll teach you not to surprise me anymore!"
Chapter 5 - Julie T by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
Here's my drabble answer to this week's challenge. As always, the legal stuff, I am just borrowing these characters for a short while--wish I did own them, but don't. They belong to parties other than me!
Amanda considered Lee's new "TOY" as she stirred the alfredo SAUCE that would later grace the pasta and chicken she was cooking. It seemed to her that her husband's new toy really wasn't anything to PLAY around with at all. In fact, Lee had found that out the second day after he had purchased it. And because of it, he had spent most of the day on the couch nursing the painful ACHE in his backside, alternating between an ICE pack and heating pad. Yep, his newest acquisition, Zip Bar Chance, a three year old green-broke quarter horse mare had bucked him right off the first time he'd tried to ride her in their round pen! Poor Lee, she thought, his pride is probably hurt more than his backside!
Home at Last - Sue by Friday Challenge
Home at Last

The ice storm crippled the city, shutting down airports and roads along the entire Eastern seaboard. He'd finally made it home and hoped his wife would forgive him.

He peeked in the window and spotted the love of his life and their son, sitting on the floor among the toys Santa left. His heart ached at the sight of his son at play on this the first Christmas that he really understood what was happening.

He opened the door and inhaled the wonderful aroma of his wives special plumb sauce and licked his lips in anticipation of the wonderful meal to come.

"Hey, Daddy's home," He called. "Jenny, Lee, where are you?"

His wife kissed him and cuddled close and he picked up his son in a bear hug. Aah, home at last.

End
Life's Lesson - Anne by Friday Challenge
Life's Lesson

“Whoever promised you life would be fair?” Lee Stetson could hear those stinging words his uncle had told him on more than one occasion, echoing in his mind. But his uncle was right; life wasn’t fair. There had been so much loss in his life. “No, not this time,” he said, under his breath, running his hand through his sun-bleached hair.

He had to see her, had to hold her, he wanted more time with her. “Dear God. Why me? Why all this heartache?” She was his life. She had given him unconditional love and now that was going to be taken from him.

“Hello, generous. How’s my best girl?” he asked, trying to blink back tears.

She looked up at him with her big brown eyes, taking a couple of steps towards him. She rested her head on his shoulder, softly moving her lips across his tear stained cheek.

“I got a surprise for you,” he finally said, running his hands across her shoulders and down her back. “But first, sweetheart, you must walk with me.”

His little roan mare’s ears jumped back and forth, her nostrils flaring. She nickered and tossed her head, pushing against him, wanting to play.

“Okay, you scamp. Here’s your treat.” Her lips daintily lifted the sugar cube off his outstretched hand.

He slid the bridle over her head. Gathering up the reins in his left hand he led her out of the paddock. Walking over to the corral gate, he stopped her. He climbed up the fence and grabbing her dark red mane, swung his leg across her back. He leaned forward, unlatching the gate and threw it open. The gate banged against the fence post. Lee jumped, hoping the noise had not woken up his uncle.

The stars were still out and the sky was cloudless, but he knew dawn would be upon them soon. He had to put as much distance as he possibly could between him and his uncle. He was not going to take her away from him.

Lee clucked softly at Bayley, and pressed his knees into her side; she moved forward into a slow walk. They followed the creek for several miles, dropping into a small valley. Lee decided to cut through the neighbor’s property, which he hoped would save him time. He pulled on the reins moving Bayley to the left to cut through the apple orchards. She pranced along, her head held high. Her chestnut hair gleamed in the moonlit sky.

It was slow going in the dark and the morning fog began to roll in from the ocean, making traveling that much more difficult in the French countryside. They walked past the rows of apple trees. Branches swayed in the gentle breeze. Lee was trying to be careful not to accidentally get hit by one of the low hanging branches. Then it happened, he misjudged the branch and it hit him square in the chest. He tumbled over backwards, landing with a jarring crash flat on his stomach.

Lee lay there for a moment catching his breath. He started to get up and fell again with a groan. His wrists would not support his weight. “Damn,” Lee said, gently rolling onto his back. “My uncle is going to kill me.”

He could feel his wrists were swelling and turning a purplish-blue color. He pulled himself up off the ground. Bayley walked over to him, her pointed ears jumping back and forth, she put her head down and blew her breath in his face.

Lee looked up to the sky and could see the first rays of morning light. He stepped onto a large boulder and with one quick motion was on her back again. The pain in his wrists cut like a knife. Lee hung his head down; he knew this adventure was over. He had no choice but to go back to his uncle’s house.

Lee rode back home and into the paddock. His uncle came out the front door, slamming the screen door, “Skip, where the hell have you been? Your breakfast is getting cold.”

Lee didn’t say anything. He tried to dismount, but found the pain unbearable. His uncle came into the paddock and took one look at Lee’s wrists and helped him off the horse. Not saying a word, he tied Bayley to the hitching post.

“I need to take care of Bayley,” Lee said determined.

“Don’t worry about her. I’ll have Frank do the currying and brushing and see that she gets fed. Now, you get into the house and put some ice on your wrists,” the Major barked.

Lee sat in the kitchen. The ice burned on his wrists, but they felt better. The moment the Major came in he laid into Lee. “Let me see you wrists, Skip.” He examined the wrists. “They don’t appear to be broken, but probably fractured. Again I ask you want the hell were you doing? And don’t toy with me. I’ve had enough of your cheeky sauciness.”

Lee looked down at the floor and mumbled, “I was running away from home.”

“I see,” the Major said. “And where did you think you were going to run away to?”

“I don’t know. But you can’t take her away from me,” he said, hot tears following down his cheeks.

“Listen Skip, you’re ten years old now. It’s time you grew up. Take it like a man,” the Major said, shaking his head. “Now I’m going to give you some Aspirin and then I want you to go back to bed. Maybe someday you will understand, but running away is not going to solve your problems.”

Lee stormed up the stairs to his room the words of his uncle still echoing is his mind. “Whoever promised you life would be fair.”

‘Nobody.’ He thought, shaking his head, ‘And I’ll never expect it either.’
He Really Thought I was Cute - Jennifer C by Friday Challenge
He Really Thought I was Cute

August 6,2002

"Do we have to do this?" Jenna said.

Lee looked over at his daughter. "You told me you wanted to get out of the house."

"Yeah, but to go grocery shopping?" Jenna said.

"You're still grounded, remember?" Lee said as he turned the Taurus into the Harris Teeter parking lot. "This is the only chance you'll have to get out this week, so make the best of it, huh?"

Jenna sighed. "I'll try," she said.

"Good," Lee said. "Now read me what's on the grocery list."

Jenna looked down at the notepad that she was holding. "Okay, there's a bag of ice, butter, milk, eggs, bacon, oatmeal, chicken, pork-chops, microwave dinners, salad stuff, ground beef, eggs, hollandaise sauce mix, coffee and cat food." She looked at Lee. "Can we get another catnip toy? Oscar really likes to play with them."

"I guess that wouldn't strain the budget too much," Lee said as he pulled into a parking space.

"And a Soap Opera Digest?" Jenna said.

"Don't push it, munchkin," Lee said as they got out of the car and walked across the parking lot.

"That's okay," Jenna said. "The soaps are kind of boring right now anyway."

Lee grinned. "Glad to hear it," he said

"Hey!" The shout came from behind. Lee and Jenna turned around to see a blond freckle-faced boy around Jenna's age, peering out of the window of a slowly moving car.

"You're cute!" The boy said, looking directly at Jenna, whose cheeks had begun to turn a deep pink color.

"Excuse me?" Lee said, walking closer to the boy as the car pulled to a stop in front of them. "That's my daughter you're talking to." He felt Jenna tugging at his arm.

"Dad stop it, you're embarrassing me," she said. Lee ignored her.

The boy's face turned a little pale. "I just thought she was cute," he stammered. "That's all."

The boy's face in the window was joined by an older, dark-haired boy who looked to be around 17 or 18-he was the one driving the car.

"I have to apologize for my little brother, sir," the older boy said. "He's needs to be more careful about what he says to people. Don't you, Nick?"

"Sorry," Nick mumbled.

"We accept the apology," Lee said.

"Thanks," the older boy said, smiling. "Have a good day, sir-you too, ma'am." The car drove on past them, disappearing out of the parking lot. Lee turned around, expecting to see an indignant Jenna. Instead his daughter was smiling.

"What is it?" he said.

"He really thought I was cute?" Jenna said.

"Come on," Lee said tightly, as they headed toward Harris Teeter's front entrance. "Let's get this shopping over with, okay?"

"He was cute too," Jenna said, who had to practically run now to keep up with Lee's long strides. "Don't you think he was cute? Nick's a cute name."

Lee rubbed at his forehead, which was starting to ache. "Jenna-" he said warningly, but his daughter just continued talking.

"But his brother was cuter," she said. "And he called me ma'am too-that was cool."

"Jenna," Lee said, a little more loudly this time.

"What is it?" Jenna said.

"What do you say about a Soap Opera Digest in exchange for a little quiet?"

The End
Chapter 9 - Sue by Friday Challenge
Lee checked his watch for the third time in what seemed like hours. Auggie was late as usual. He better have some extraordinary information this time or else Lee was going to shoot him. He had a monster head ache and needed some of his wife's special brand of TLC.

He felt stupid just standing around, pacing back and forth in front of the store, so he decided to go inside and wander up and down the aisles. Row after row of exotic and erotic toys greeted him.

Deciding to put his time to good use he studied the offerings carefully wondering which ones he and Amanda could play with. He picked up a jar of beige liquid and read the label, "Caramel sauce--create your very own sundae."

Too messy, he thought and moved on to the next shelf. He stared at the mind boggling site. There had to be a thousand different condoms on the shelf. Everything from the standard drug store Trojans to flavored and textured, even vibrating condoms. He had to look twice at the flavors and finally found a one that he thought Amanda would enjoy. He certainly would enjoy her tasting it. He picked up the ice blue box and turned his head as the bell over the door rang.

At last, Auggie arrived. Lee took his purchase to the register, slid his purchase in his pocket ,and met his tardy informant.

End
Chapter 10 - Doron by Friday Challenge
Author's Notes:
A B5 Limmerick